ATI prepping GPU refresh for 2H 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
^Vista is old news now though, the current drivers for Win7 work very well.

IMO it'd be hard to say which ones are better, both seem to be remarkably more bug-free than usual. As to which one better utilises the hardware they run on, who knows?

Except he said 'currently', not 'the release before'...

^Vista is old news now though, the current drivers for Win7 work very well.
Much better than before, but I think ATI's are better still in terms of number of crashes, performance, and image quality - performance vs image quality is also an issue, and I think Nvidia generally try to cut more corners than ATI do.
Except he said 'currently', not 'the release before'...
Still, I think it demonstrates a lack of quality control.

My driver crashes once a week on average when in Adobe Prem or After Effects (raw video rendering) in Windows 7 on my GTX260+.

Windows 7 recovers straight away but not before locking my pc up for a bit.

So for me, Nvidia drivers account for 80%+ of my crashes.

A 260 for After Effects? How big are the files you're working with?

Its a gaming pc that i use after effects on. But still, its not overkill. I still cant render proper edited scenes at much more than a few frames per second, but thats not just the video cards fault.

The files range from 200mb to 20GB each. Average being 1GB for clips.
Remember, these are full hd raw files, maybe 3 or 4 layered over each other.

EDIT: Its not that the video card cant keep up, it just crashes.

the latest drivers from NVIDIA are fine in my experience. However the few releases before that were dreadful. And on the other hand I've never had a single problem from ATI drivers....so the score is +1 ATI, 0 NVIDIA for me on the driver front.

However drivers don't really matter to me much as there's always a set you can go back to or a new hotfix around the corner. Both NVIDIA and ATI have driver teams full of software engineers much more qualified than us working hard on these things.

Drivers still seems to be an issue with ATi's cards. Yesterday I was trying to find drivers for a Radeon HD2600 Pro AGP and I went to AMD's website did the search for driver the card and rather then bringing me to a page with the driver it brought me to a page with a hotfix for the driver. I ended up downloading the driver from sapphires website... The card is made by HIS.

Drivers still seems to be an issue with ATi's cards. Yesterday I was trying to find drivers for a Radeon HD2600 Pro AGP and I went to AMD's website did the search for driver the card and rather then bringing me to a page with the driver it brought me to a page with a hotfix for the driver. I ended up downloading the driver from sapphires website... The card is made by HIS.

I just tried that and got the same result, that a website problem not a graphics problem. It wouldn't be a bad idea to bring that to their attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom