ATI prepping GPU refresh for 2H 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they slowed down maybe they could focus on drivers for once. It's really annoying when they release new features and then the drivers are half arse and don't work half the time.
They can't write drivers they don't have hardware for.
"We are releasing Eyefinity! Yes it's great but you will need dual GPU's to get really good framerates on newer games, but our drivers suck and we refuse to fix them, so you can't even use dual gpu's in Eyefinity because it's broken! :thumbsup: "
If you have two video cards, you could run a monitor from each card, and avoid scaling issues.
Also, I think 9.12 hotfix and 10.3a enable crossfire eyefinity.

They can't write drivers they don't have hardware for.

What do you mean?

If you have two video cards, you could run a monitor from each card, and avoid scaling issues.
Also, I think 9.12 hotfix and 10.3a enable crossfire eyefinity.

Yeah but a ton of people still have issues with issues like micro stuttering or flickering, which would worry me if I was a potential CF Eyefinity buyer.

What do you mean?
you said you were annoyed that when new cards came out the drivers weren't always working perfectly.
I'm saying they can't exactly test their drivers for months before a card releases if they haven't yet produced the cards they're supposed to run on.
Also, most of the bugs occur under very specific conditions that they can't exactly anticipate. The only way they're found is when a lot of people have the cards and actually run them under so many different conditions.
Yeah but a ton of people still have issues with issues like micro stuttering or flickering, which would worry me if I was a potential CF Eyefinity buyer.
I don't think microstuttering has really been an issue with crossfire for a while. And if it is, it would be more an issue with multi-GPU systems in general.

you said you were annoyed that when new cards came out the drivers weren't always working perfectly.

lol where do you get this? I said that ATi's drivers should be working before they pump out new releases. They were released what, 6 months ago? I'd say that's a tiny bit of time to get to work on drivers.

Rofl. Show me where I said that the drivers should always be working perfectly?

I'm saying they can't exactly test their drivers for months before a card releases if they haven't yet produced the cards they're supposed to run on.

Again, the 5870/50 was released when? Who said anything about them testing cards months before releases?

lol where do you get this? I said that ATi's drivers should be working before they pump out new releases.
Because they shouldn't improve hardware as well?
Also, their drivers do work.
Yeah, there's room for improvement, but that's true of anything and everything.

But I am pretty sure ATI drivers are currently better than Nvidia's.
They were released what, 6 months ago? I'd say that's a tiny bit of time to get to work on drivers.
They're never not working on driver improvements.
the driver improvements they've made since release of 5000 series cards are quite significant.
Rofl. Show me where I said that the drivers should always be working perfectly?
that's what your post seemed to imply.

lolwut? I must've missed **** freezing over :p
Ever since AMD acquired ATI their driver development improved a lot.

And when Vista was released, Nvidia had a hard time making stable drivers for it.
So did everyone, but Nvidia's were the worst.

They both improved a lot and at some points their drivers were generally about equal.
though currently I'd say AMD's are probably better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom