ATI Catalyst 9.2 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
The card doesn't support pcie 2.0. If you are running a 32bit os then you cant use all of your video memory. vram is addressed the same way that normal ram is. So with your 3 gigs of ram + the 1 gig video ram in a 32bit OS then you aren't getting it all, because you never get all 4gigs.

The card doesn't support pcie 2.0. If you are running a 32bit os then you cant use all of your video memory. vram is addressed the same way that normal ram is. So with your 3 gigs of ram + the 1 gig video ram in a 32bit OS then you aren't getting it all, because you never get all 4gigs.

suppose to support PCI-E 2.0. Said on newegg, says on the box but guess what? It doesnt.

i already took out 1GB of RAM and played GTA4, 512MB of VRAM still showed up in GTA4, not the full 1GB. I tried this too with Crysis Warhead, i got less performance. Crysis and i think Crysis Warhead detects 512MB of VRAM. I'll try again later.

The internal pcie crossswitch connecting the gpus is pcie 1.1. And you card isn't fast enough to need pcie 2.0 anyways. As for the memory I think I remember Rican or another member saying some time ago that games only see half the memory in crossfire and sli even though all of it is used. We know crysis supports crossfire, there are benchmarks showing it. I think you are worrying about nothing. R600 wasn't the best in real world gaming so it is possible you are just getting crappy frames from a crappy card.

to wildside:

X2 card is essentially crossfire crammed into a single card.

it doesn't change the way crossfire works.

so you have a 1 GB 3870 X2 correct?

so it's 512 MB each card

both cards have to load the
same information into each card's memory

only the workload is split up.

3870 X2 showing up as 512 MB in games is displayed correctly.

it's not about pcie 1.1 or 2.0

^^ if that is true then i should be able to use more VRAM for GTA4 then 512MB. Even with tweaks to unlock restrictions, i dont get performance gain when i try to force it to detect all of my 1GB VRAM. I still crash after playing for a while when i have Texture Quality on High in that game, just sucks.

oh and i tried the CCC 9.2 drivers in Crysis (20% increase), hardly got an increase just stability i guess. I'm gonna try out Crysis Warhead now.

EDIT:

im actually more stable with Crysis Warhead by a few fps. Crysis, all Very High, i get around 15-25 fps average. Crysis Warhead, all Enthusiast, i get around 20-29 fps average.

^^ a little bit for me. Has better optimizing so im at like around 20-25 fps average instead of just jumping all over the place. Well i think so.

Apok, what is ur current rig right now? U still have that MSI K9A2 Platinum and stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom