ATI 4770: the good, the bad, and the ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ that is amazing.............makes me regret regretting that i sent my whole mobo box to have it looked at at MSI for nothing because i couldnt reinstall Vista with OC settings for 5 months n i didnt realize that. I returned my HDD too to have it fixed but was for nothing too.

Anyone else feel that nvidia cards are more solid. Like with no proof what so ever to me they just LOOK like more solid cards....

(I aint a fanboy because of my avvy, rig or sig either, i recommend ATI cards very often in the builds section.)

I did like Nvidia a lot, till the whole price for performance I found that 3850 was better, same reason I got the x1500 when I did a long time ago... That and Nvidia cards keep giving me issues, anytime I would buy a 6 or 7 series card it would die, either it would blow caps, or it would have some other strange issues.

The price for performance has kept me coming back, going on a third upgrade next month (4890). That, and how ati seems to be recommended in this forum like crazy lately. Every penny saved for me is vital and I haven't had one single issue with ATI before. If nvidia goes price for performance, you can bet that I will go with them for the next upgrade.

Anyone else feel that nvidia cards are more solid. Like with no proof what so ever to me they just LOOK like more solid cards....

(I aint a fanboy because of my avvy, rig or sig either, i recommend ATI cards very often in the builds section.)

Not really, I have used recent cards form both sides and the only thing that matters is the performance.

They rarely cheap out on their coolers like ATI :( Doesn't affect me though as I watercool.

The coolers aren't the faultof Nvidia or ATI, it is usualy the board maker, Saphhire has great heatsink designs for the 3850, yet another company can come up with a dual slot cooler that won't help much at all.

me. i know my friends 4670 felt pretty cheap. felt like the heatsink was going to fall off. but that was due to the screws being loose on the back.

well i can say atleast my sapphire's 4770 board is really flimsy, i can bend it really easy and just something as simple as plugging in the pci-e 6 pin tweeks the board a lil.

but i do have more good news about this card.

after a lil bit of cpu overclocking, and maxing out my Overdrive settings (830/850)
i was able to sneak past 15k 3dmark06.

point me out to be better ati overclocking utility and i will be in better shape, this card handles 830 core / 850 ram like its nothing, and with minimal heat increase, my highest load temps with 3dmark06 was 39C confirmed by both gpu-z and CCC.

I see no reason why i cant bust past 16k or beyond with a single 4770 when i get my cpu core speed higher + a better gpu overclock utility.

my previous system (witch i really liked the performance with) was a phenom II 940 + gtx 285, my best 3dmark06 score with that rig was 17753 and both the cpu and gpu were maxed out. this score may be reached with just this little 4770 + i7 witch repeats just how darn good the i7 is.

and a last note about the driver issue, it has seem to have gone away for now. still no official driver support for it, but older driver versions work fine for now.

summary of this post,

• gibs me link to best ati overclocking utility in your opinion
• 4770 single gpu breaks 15k in 3dmark06
• room for more improvements
• drivers seem to be working for now

edit: tried to install the 9.4 driver to replace the 8.6 and now i cant get my monitor resolution back to 1920x1200, highest setting allowed is 1600x1200

yea seriously...out of the like 4-5 video cards i've owned 2 have been nvidia. All the ati ones gave me so many issues. Driver issues, not working period, etc but I've never had any issues with the nvidia ones.

only thing I like about ati is that they are killing nvidia when it comes price for performance.

i find it odd that they would ship a card without proper drivers for it though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom