ATI 4770: the good, the bad, and the ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

tastegw

Inspired by Art
ok, since i finally have my new rig up and running, I thought I would share some info on this new card since not many of you have it.

(I am currently using a 4770 as a temp card until i can muster up some cash for a better product.)

The good:
this card is small! very small compaired to some other beefy cards out. the box it came in was a little larger than a dvd case that you would see at blockbuster.

temps on this card are just amazing.
here is a screen shot of the idle temp with fan a lil high just get it under 30C
gputemp29C.jpg

i live in southern Cali, so its not cold here by any stretch.
after switching out of guildwars, temps were 35-36....pretty good.

now for the bad and the ugly: there is still no driver support that i can find for this card.
even the driver cd that came with it does not have the 4770 listed as supported for it.
ATI's website doesnt have this card listed in their latest drivers (atleast yesterday they didnt). I booted up when i first got home from work today, and my pc didnt even recognize any driver and gpu-z showed my card running at -1MHz for the core and shortly after that the screen turned white and i had to shut-er-down and open up the case to make sure everything was right. Powered the pc back on and oh, pc can now recognize the driver again....
and one small thing that bugged me, it does not come with a crossfire bridge, would be helpful if it did.

as for now, I would say hold off on the 4770 until they get this driver issue worked out, because when i got my windows installed, i was unable to use my max resolution until the 2nd try at getting the half working driver off the cd, the first try ended up in error.

i have not tried to overclock this card, and will not attempt to until new driver supports it.

but i can give you this, just over 12k 3dmark06 (sm2.0: 4257 | sm3.0: 5442) with everything at stock but for memory, that was heavily underclocked down to 1067 thx to biostars auto settings for it.
one thing that supprised me about this 3dmark06 score was my cpu score, it was higher at stock speeds than my phenom's cpu score @ 3.75.

Are we surprised? They generally have issues with drivers anyway, though they have been fixing it up.

But for shame not having full support with this card yet.

Also, taste, why didn't you get the XFX version? :p Maybe it would have come with a bridge.

since i dont have a company that i trust with ati yet, it just came down to the price lol.
the xfx was $10 more at the time of purchase.

btw, can somebody link me to a crossfire bridge that i can buy that would work for these cards, i may crossfire these if the drivers are any good when they do come out.

i have seen a thread on another forum with a dude having 2x 4770's and a i7 setup, scored 24k in 3dmark06, not shabby for the money spent on the gpu's

I have rather enjoyed the quality of Sapphire ATI cards... Not beautiful, but IMO great construction and quality.

ya, that is why i picked sapphire over some of the other same priced ones, i have heard only good news about saphire's ati products.

I didn't even notice you with one lmfao.

I have an x1500 and a 3850 from them, great cards, great quality, and it seems that the PCB is a bit thicker or harder to flex then an average card, but that is just what it seems I guess.

ya, that is why i picked sapphire over some of the other same priced ones, i have heard only good news about saphire's ati products.

You didn't notice the multiple threads I had about them a few months ago? Basically my issue was their tech support is not good and I did not feal like a valued customer. And then they basically told me that the card was just messed up and I would need to send it back in with payment for return shipping (would of been about $35). Fourtantely I found a answer to the problem, no thanks to them.

im not surprised. I cant play Left 4 Dead now because of the drivers past 9.2 Catalyst. Anyone who has an ATI card are crashing while playing Left 4 Dead and only that game on Steam. Check out the official forums, everyone is complaining there too.

another issue im getting is GTA4 is crashing on me quickly probably because of how high the setting im putting it and since i live in Riverside, more North of San Diego where Tastegw lives, temps are going up and so is our computer temperatures.

and since i live in Riverside, more North of San Diego where Tastegw lives, temps are going up and so is our computer temperatures.

ouch, forgot about you and riverside, riverside is just about like strait desert temps.

but dont worry, i will be living in barstow in 4 months :(

as far as ati's drivers go, this was ati's chance to gain a loyal customer (me), but....if i cant get a good driver within the next week, this puppy is gonna get tossed on the bay and ill slap another nvidia gpu in without thinking twice about it.....hang on, evga is on the other line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom