Android vs. Windows 7: What's Better for your Netbook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Android vs. Windows 7: What's Better for your Netbook?

eWeek compared Google Android and Microsoft Windows 7 Starter Edition from a netbook perspective and liked what they saw from Google. Acer recently announced that 3Q09 will see an Android-powered netbook join their product line and will provide a quick litmus test on whether the OS is ready for the next level.

"Netbooks are designed to be compact in size and easy to connect to the Internet wherever you go," Jim Wong, Acer's president of IT products, said in a statement. "The Android operating system offers incredibly fast wireless connection to the Internet. For this reason, Acer has decided to develop Android Netbooks for added convenience to our customers."

WOuld be interested in trying out Android on a netbook. i think it would be perfect.

The only thing that would be holding me back is that i do have to use my netbook for the some windows stuff too. Eg. Programing cash registers.

That is interesting. I wonder how a tweaked 7 (when known regtweaks/settings are available if they aren't already) would compare to Android then.

Those tweaks and that wouldnt apply in Win7 Starter. That is a very stripped down and very basic version. Up till recently it had limitations put on it that wouldnt even allow for 4 or more programs to run at once. Microsoft recently reverted that decision.

But they have gone through and put limitations on things like the Wallpaper and Startup screen. they said they would not allow for that to be changed by anyone. So any vendor who wants to slap their logo and image all over the OS would be outta luck.

But Win7 Starter Edition is a very stripped down and basic version. There wont be needs for tweaks and that cause it will already be fully optimized to run on Netbooks. It wont even have Aero. It will have what Vista Home Basic has now.

Not to mention that this is only available for Netbooks and other developing countries. You cant buy Starter edition anywhere else. I mean how many people really know that there was a XP Starter Edition? It isnt available even for sale in places like the USA, UK, china and so many more.

Oh, I didn't know there was a XP starter edition... Pretty smart but I would find that annoying if I had limitations such as not being able to change the desktop.

WOuld be interested in trying out Android on a netbook. i think it would be perfect.

The only thing that would be holding me back is that i do have to use my netbook for the some windows stuff too. Eg. Programing cash registers.

Slightly off point but still...
programming cash registers?
Im just trying to get as much info from this forum as possible.

Once of KC's specialties is POS systems (point of sale)... computer/computerized cash registers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom