Anandtech's Lynnfield (Core i5) Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddle Jumper

Mod Emeritus
AnandTech: The Lynnfield Preview: Rumblings of Revenge

Considering they used very early pre production motherboards and cpu's the results were very promising. At 2.1ghz, which is slower than any model will be at release, Lynnfield was able to beat the 3.2ghz PII 955 in 8 of the 14 benchmarks that included both of them and the 2.6ghz Lynnfield seemed to perform close to the i7 920. The cpu used for the tests also did not have the improved turbo mode that will be available in the release version.

Oh wow.... so basically this is the cheaper, more economical new CPUs?

Are they all quads or are there duals and quads?

Any ideas on pricing?

EDIT: Actually read the article a bit :p

$190 for the cheap one (2.6GHz) (4core/4thread)
$280 for the middle one (2.8GHz) (4core/8thread)
500+ for the high end one ( 3.0GHz) (4core/8thread)

they say in the article, that these at stock speeds perform very well, but will not be as overclockable as the lga1366 platform chips.

but still, for @200 you can get a great quadcore and the motherboard will not be as pricey as LGA1366 boards.

I'm interested in seeing how well the improved turbo mode works in the real world. If it's as good as it sounded it should do a lot to improve performance in applications that aren't multi threaded.

I find it a bit strange they are going to be this good. I would have thought intel would have crippled them a bit more so they dont compete with the i7. But they clearly do, with the exception of overclocking. Im guessing this is the exact reason HT isnt enabled though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom