AMD shows off a demo of Zacate APU against Core i5-520M and beats it

Status
Not open for further replies.
19" laptop? :/ IMO laptops should be 13.3" or under, otherwise what's the point if you can't just slip it in your bag and take it everywhere?

I have a 15" laptop and I'm glad it's not any smaller. To me it's the perfect compromise between usability and portability.

On topic: assuming these chips are going to come as cheap as predicted, unless Intel can pull something very special together then they've lost the market for notebooks for the next year IMO. Better performance for cheap, who'd want anything else?

Are you serious? We've never seen this kind of performance from a GPU on the same silicon as the CPU before.

The big deal is that this chip is targeted for sub $500 notebooks, and is incredibly powerful for the power consumption. [/url]

I'm not saying it's not impressive, but their comparing AMD's yet to be released technology with something Intel released 9 months ago, it shouldn't come as a surprise that it's better.

I'm not saying it's not impressive, but their comparing AMD's yet to be released technology with something Intel released 9 months ago, it shouldn't come as a surprise that it's better.
Really, it's comparing a processor designed for low power machines against a processor designed for high performance.

I have a 15" laptop and I'm glad it's not any smaller. To me it's the perfect compromise between usability and portability.

On topic: assuming these chips are going to come as cheap as predicted, unless Intel can pull something very special together then they've lost the market for notebooks for the next year IMO. Better performance for cheap, who'd want anything else?

It may be cheaper but how will it offer better performance?

As Apok stated, they are comparing a low power chip to a higher power one and it's still beating it, so it's very impressive.

Anandtech now has updated performance numbers comparing bobcat to various other mobile platforms.

The Brazos Performance Preview: AMD E-350 Benchmarked - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Basically Bobcat delivers ~90% of the clock per clock performance of K8 so it's a very good alternative to Atom but it's still slower than Core 2, much less Nehalem or Sandy Bridge. The gpu is naturally much better than what Core 2 or Atom laptops offer but that's not exactly surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom