AMD shows off a demo of Zacate APU against Core i5-520M and beats it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a FYI the base 6sp gpu on Sandy Bridge has more than double the performance of the one used in the current i5's. And as far as I know all of the notebook Sandy bridge parts will be getting the more powerful 12sp gpu which should double performance yet again. When you also factor in that Sandy Bridge is over 10% faster than nehalem clock for clock and should have ULV parts that have similar power consumption to Zacate this really isn't that good of news for AMD.

I don't have a problem with Zacate at all, if MSI or Asus releases a sub $500 11.6" or 13.3" Zacate ultra portable with a decent screen and battery I will be the first in line to buy one. However I think it's naive to think that Zacate will take the performance crown from any non Atom cpu Intel offers. From what I have seen Bobcat is similar to a cut down STARS core which has substantially lower clock per clock performance than Nehalem, much less Sandy Bridge.

AMD has a strong benefit in the sub $500 market indeed if this chip takes off. Cheaper can mean necessarily better in performance in this case.

From Engadget: "While AMD won't speak to the clockspeed or price of its new dual-core chips, it says the 18W Zacate and 9W Ontario should appear in devices with over 8 and 10 hours of battery life respectively when they likely ship to consumers early next year."

From AnandTech: "Let's recap. Zacate is AMD's 18W APU aimed at the mainstream notebook market (~$500 notebooks)."

I read the 8-10hrs and the no price part... The AnandTech report i hadn't seen, missed it somehow... But read it after.

Was hoping to see a 8hr 19" gtx480 laptop ;) Guess not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom