AMD Ryzen

Yeup, I saw where ECC is being supported on a larger range of the enthusiast boards! This is a VERY good thing for people that have home labs, or require ECC for their work. :D

So far Ryzen is looking pretty good. $330 for a CPU about equal to a $1,000 one from Intel is pretty awesome. Sadly it doesn't look like it'll be too much better than my i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz in gaming though, so it looks like I'm sticking with what I've got for another year or so.

No point in upgrading to Ryzen unless you need the extra core count, or ECC memory, or are actually building something. In all honesty, I do a whole lot more than gaming, as do most people that I know.

But, there is some truth in that this is an entirely new architecture and it will take some time for things to be "Optimized", granted they can probably only do so much as far as software is concerned.

So far Ryzen is looking pretty good. $330 for a CPU about equal to a $1,000 one from Intel is pretty awesome. Sadly it doesn't look like it'll be too much better than my i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz in gaming though, so it looks like I'm sticking with what I've got for another year or so.
What I was saying previously.

It seems like the biggest drawback to Ryzen is that it's basically like 2 quad core CPUs and the infinity fabric's lower bandwidth between them is holding them back. Apparently the infinity fabric's speed is tied to the memory so faster memory means better performance. Hopefully they work out these bugs for the next generation.

Also, AMD has announced the 4 core and 6 core variants which is exciting. Nice to have a mainstream cheaper option than Intel that's not too far behind in gaming.

It seems like the biggest drawback to Ryzen is that it's basically like 2 quad core CPUs and the infinity fabric's lower bandwidth between them is holding them back. Apparently the infinity fabric's speed is tied to the memory so faster memory means better performance. Hopefully they work out these bugs for the next generation.

Also, AMD has announced the 4 core and 6 core variants which is exciting. Nice to have a mainstream cheaper option than Intel that's not too far behind in gaming.
Yea it's two CCX units but 8 individual cores. If I wasn't buying a house I'd be getting a Ryzen test bed to test exactly how much faster RAM speeds can get you. Luckily DDR4 is easily able to achieve 3200 speeds without tweaking things too much. It's not a bug they can fix, it's literally just part of the design. The easiest way to circumvent this is don't play games at 1080p.

Back
Top Bottom