AMD Processor Roadmap, Launch Dates Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant understand why AMD cant compete with intel anymore on the high end... I wish they would as well, they typically have cheaper chips.

The Phenom 2's are supposed to overclock higher then current Phenoms while they are also 10~15% faster clock for clock.

If AMD can once again get a hold of the price/performance edge, then I think the Phenom II's can be a success.

Since Apok is like the bad *** on the forums when it comes to AMD. He'll probably have a 940 on water running @ 4.00ghz+ which by no means is SLOW.

The Phenom 2's are supposed to overclock higher then current Phenoms while they are also 10~15% faster clock for clock.

If AMD can once again get a hold of the price/performance edge, then I think the Phenom II's can be a success.

Since Apok is like the bad *** on the forums when it comes to AMD. He'll probably have a 940 on water running @ 4.00ghz+ which by no means is SLOW.

if the price is right, i may stick with amd myself

AMD kicked Intel in the 'nads several times, and Intel finally got up and did something. Intel had almost unlimited resources that were sitting and doing nothing. Once they mobilized and got innovative (read "copied AMD's stuff that had kicked them in the cods"), Intel finally came out with chips that were good for something.

AMD hasn't thrown in the towel yet. Their chips may not be as blazing fast as Intel's, but they are no slouch, either.

i recommend waiting for the 945. It is AM3, but it is backwards compatible with AM2 and AM2+, plus saves u money if u ever want to go to DDR3 (meaning saving money on buying a whole new motherboard and new RAM).
Word has it that DDR3 will give ~5% more performance over DDR2

If you already have an AM2+ board, it's probably not worth switching to AM3 unless you were already planning on getting a board that's better than what you have.

Oh, and there's a chance Phenom II won't be negatively affected by SB600 in terms of overclocking like Agena can be.

Word has it that DDR3 will give ~5% more performance over DDR2

If you already have an AM2+ board, it's probably not worth switching to AM3 unless you were already planning on getting a board that's better than what you have.

Oh, and there's a chance Phenom II won't be negatively affected by SB600 in terms of overclocking like Agena can be.

well thx for the info. I am actually having second thoughts about getting the 940 instead. We just have to wait n see what happens.

Wildside there won't be many 940 chips that can hit 4.00ghz+ with just air cooling. The 920 will be a bit cheaper but not that much cheaper. Yet it should have about the same over clock potential, as well as 8MB L3 cache.

For everyone who shops at the American newegg, the price difference should be between $50~. While here in Canada the price difference will probably be more like $70~ CAD

Wildside there won't be many 940 chips that can hit 4.00ghz+ with just air cooling.
Most of the ES chips have been able to. There's a good chance the retail chips will.
The 920 will be a bit cheaper but not that much cheaper. Yet it should have about the same over clock potential, as well as 8MB L3 cache.
I think the locked multiplier might be likely to restrict its overclocks.
I mean, Agena's do overclock much better using multiplier increases.

Though I've read that Deneb overclocks best using a combination of tweaks (including, but not only the multiplier, though it is a very major factor).
The people using only the multiplier, often get 3.8 or so on stock cooling. Whereas if you increase the HTT about 10-15MHZ or so, it's often enough to push it past 4GHZ
at least that seems to be the case with a lot of chips tested so far

Most of the ES chips have been able to. There's a good chance the retail chips will.
I think the locked multiplier might be likely to restrict its overclocks.
I mean, Agena's do overclock much better using multiplier increases.

Though I've read that Deneb overclocks best using a combination of tweaks (including, but not only the multiplier, though it is a very major factor).
The people using only the multiplier, often get 3.8 or so on stock cooling. Whereas if you increase the HTT about 10-15MHZ or so, it's often enough to push it past 4GHZ
at least that seems to be the case with a lot of chips tested so far

is it for sure that the Deneb Phenom II processors are gonna be Black Edition? It could have locked multipliers. The Athlon 64 5000+, there were BE n not BE chips. I think the same went for the Agena Phenom processors too right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom