AMD Phenom II X6 Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Source?....

Turbo boost or whatever just increases voltages and clock speed a set amount doesn't it? I don't know for sure but it seems like thats all it does.

Then the i7s have a vastly different architecture then phenom IIs. The X6 versions are the same architecture as X4s, with two more cores. So they'll be %50 faster or so, and may match i7s in multi-threaded intensive programs. IMO I think the i7 920/930 are still gonna be superior, unless the X6s overclock like beasts.

Source?....

Turbo boost or whatever just increases voltages and clock speed a set amount doesn't it? I don't know for sure but it seems like thats all it does.

Then the i7s have a vastly different architecture then phenom IIs. The X6 versions are the same architecture as X4s, with two more cores. So they'll be %50 faster or so, and may match i7s in multi-threaded intensive programs. IMO I think the i7 920/930 are still gonna be superior, unless the X6s overclock like beasts.

Well since they are Phenom II's...
Cold bug won't be there >:]
It'll be extreme overclocker's dreams.

Also, AMD confirmed these prices at PAX East stating none of the Phenom II X6's will be priced above $300.
So they'll all be $300 or less.
With the cheapest expected to be ~$200-250

Phenom II X4 3.2GHz costs ~$200, so it's 50% more cost for 50% more cores.
But then they'll also use 0% more power (same TDP's as X4), so they have better performance per watt (and thus better on power bills for the same performance).
I wonder if it means they use less volts for the same frequency? That might mean more room to overclock.

Phenom II X4 3.2GHz costs ~$200, so it's 50% more cost for 50% more cores.
But then they'll also use 0% more power (same TDP's as X4), so they have better performance per watt (and thus better on power bills for the same performance).
I wonder if it means they use less volts for the same frequency? That might mean more room to overclock.

Phenom II X4 3.2Ghz costs $150-160~
Not $200~

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

well it's ~$200 here where I live.
*edit*
Mind you, the 1090T ($299 X6) will run at 3.2-3.6 at stock, not just 3.2
so it would probably compare to the 965 (~$190) but with two more cores.

k guys read up some more on what turbo really does when running programs that dont suport all core it turns off the cores that r not being used and speeds up the cores that r being used hope this helps and hope i explained it right lol

k guys read up some more on what turbo really does when running programs that dont suport all core it turns off the cores that r not being used and speeds up the cores that r being used hope this helps and hope i explained it right lol

yea that's pretty much it. Pretty good idea too...if a core isn't used just shut it off and use the extra heat/power to make another one a bit faster.

I'd like to know why these are so cheap....surely they can't be making that much profit off of these for being such a low price

yea that's pretty much it. Pretty good idea too...if a core isn't used just shut it off and use the extra heat/power to make another one a bit faster.

I'd like to know why these are so cheap....surely they can't be making that much profit off of these for being such a low price

AMD owns GlobalFoundries, and GF is probably fabricating their processors, as GlobalFoundries can fabricate at 45nm.
This saves AMD buttloads on contracting costs and manufacturing costs, because they don't have to contract with someone like TSMC or something.
With the money they save, AMD is probably still making very nice profits even selling their processors for so cheap.

orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1791626 said:
AMD owns GlobalFoundries, and GF is probably fabricating their processors, as GlobalFoundries can fabricate at 45nm.
This saves AMD buttloads on contracting costs and manufacturing costs, because they don't have to contract with someone like TSMC or something.
With the money they save, AMD is probably still making very nice profits even selling their processors for so cheap.

I dunno..I know not having to contract it out would save some bucks I still don't see how their profit margin is big though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom