AMD Phenom II X6 1055T & 1090T Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurusan

Golden Master
PCWorld.fr - Test Phenom II X6 1090T : le processeur six coeurs d'AMD
Translated
Google Translate use the red arrows to navigate or you may lose the translation.

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T & Leo Platform : For Mega-tasking performance ! | Vmodtech.com | Review, Overclock, Hardware, Computer, Notebook, Marketplace
Translated
Google Translate

Overclock3D :: Review :: AMD 1090T Six Core Review :: Introduction

http://www.he*us.net/content/item.php?item=24332

Phenom II X6 1055T and 1090T review

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 6-Core Processor Review - HotHardware

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T BE & 1055T - Introduction

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Review - Page 1 - Introduction

PC Perspective - AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 6-core Thuban Processor Review

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition | bit-tech.net

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T And 890FX Platform Review: Hello, Leo : AMD Can Do Six Cores, Too

AMD launches the Phenom II X6 Sexa Core CPU, We take it for a spin - Bright Side Of News*

AMD Phenom II X6 (& 890FX, 880G, 890GX) - Introduction - HardwareHeaven.com

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Review - Reviews by ExtremeTech

Six Cores from AMD: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition and Phenom II X6 1055T CPU Review - X-bit labs

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T BE & Phenom II X6 1055T Review - TechSpot News

Test: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T und 1090T BE - 27.04.2010 - ComputerBase

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Review - Overclockers Club

Phenom II X6 1090T CPU Review | Hardware Secrets

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T and 1055T: Six cores on a budget - AMD, Thuban, Phenom II X6 1090T, Phenom II X6 1055T, Review - PC Games Hardware

AMD's Six-Core Phenom II X6 1090T & 1055T Reviewed - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T & 1090T Six-Core Processors Review

AMD's Six-Core Phenom II X6 1090T & 1055T Reviewed - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T and ASUS Crosshair IV Formula - Bjorn3D.com

AMD Phenom II X6: Thuban the Dragon - LostCircuits

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition

Yeah the 1055T is certainly the more appealing of the two.

I have somewhat mixed feelings about Thuban at this point, the price is good and the performance is ok too but it doesn't dominate the i5 750 like I expected. I would still give the 1055T serious thought when it comes time to upgrade but I'm tempted to try and hold out for Sandy Bridge.

should i upgrade to x6 1055t? ... my motherboard is am2/am2+ but ive read that a am3 cpu will work with a am2/am2+ motherboard

What you have to keep in mind about Thuban is that it is basically Deneb with two more cores and better power efficiency, as well as "Turbo"

What does that ultimately mean? It means that it will perform better than Deneb when more than 4 cores are being used.
When 4 or less cores are being used, it doesn't have a clock for clock advantage against Deneb. It's the same architecture; just the number of cores are different. Turbo will just give a bit of an improvement depending on the number of threads being used (up to a 400MHz increase for single threaded programs, less when more threads are being used).

Basically, Thuban is useful for highly threaded programs, not nearly as useful for single or lightly threaded applications (where the only difference is Turbo)
If a review site uses mostly single or lightly threaded applications and concludes performance on the basis of that, I think it's at best useless and at worst intellectually dishonest, unless they're only trying to demonstrate the difference Turbo has vs Deneb chips without it.

What review sites should be doing is testing on highly multithreaded applications to see what the performance is like when the extra cores are being used, but also make it clear that a lot of programs don't use more than 4 threads, and therefore it isn't really useful to get an X6 instead of an X4, X3 or X2 unless you do use programs that utilize the extra cores.
I'm tempted to try and hold out for Sandy Bridge.
If you wait that long, Sandy Bridge will be competing against Bulldozer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom