AMD Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
So fusion is supposed to be a CPU and GPU in one?

Yeah, it will be interesting how it woks out. I think intel may actually have the first cpu with a built in gpu with havendale later this year but I would expect fusion to use a much more powerful gpu.

so will this mean the average user will not need a video card if they have this chip and the mobo has the monitor hookup on it?

or does this simply mean it will just add to the gameing power of the video card.

you have know any better than i do on how this is going to work? because im having trouble putting the peices together.

edit: i just thought of a bogus idea

totally imaginary at this point but...

lets say this cpu/gpu chip is going to be using a ddr3 platform mobo (mostlikely anyways)

both the cpu and the gpu utilize the systems ram
and the actual video card you would buy would not have a gpu on it nor its own ram...but instead,....just a bunch of SP's and everything else needed to make "3D" run best.
this would leave plenty of room for lots of SP's
but how would that effect bandwidth?

again, i have no idea if that could actually work, but it would be really cool!

So what will become of Nvidia if Intel and AMD make both CPU's and GPU's?

Edit-

Taste apparently with an internet connection you can play anygame with the graphics prerendered.

so will this mean the average user will not need a video card if they have this chip and the mobo has the monitor hookup on it?

or does this simply mean it will just add to the gameing power of the video card.

you have know any better than i do on how this is going to work? because im having trouble putting the peices together.

From what I have seen abut havendale you wouldn't need a video card so I'm assuming it would be the same for fusion.

Fusion is a CPU/GPU in one. The thing is though, the GPU isn't all that powerful either. Yet its still able to max out any game with the help of the prerendered graphics.

Wonder how much AMD and Intel will charge for Fusion and havendale.

This is good news though. For everyone too busy to upgrade their hard ware every year and for those who just can't afford to continue upgrading.

Fusion will be a boon for laptops, netbooks, and smaller applications. by putting the GPU in the CPU die, you won't need a separate chip for it, meaning a smaller overall footprint. I seriously doubt that Fusion, or Intel's copy, will boast any serious graphics power... at least not for a long while. Maybe one day, but I seriously doubt it any time soon.

^ +1.

Sure it's a great idea, and after a lot of development it could be awesome. But there is no way the gpu on it could be that powerful right now...just not possible. It will probably be sufficient for just a normal computer that is not for gaming though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom