AMD Callisto 45nm Dual core

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theres plenty of reasons people would still buy a dual core.

Im pretty sure they will be priced around $100, and being mad oc'ers will make them a hit.

They will probably be cheaper than a $100. But in the original post it stated the Core 2 Duo, not the Intel Pentium line.... Why would it compete with a line that no longer exists?

we are sure that this CPU might give Intel's Core 2 dual-core generation a lot to fight for.

Yes I realise it says Pentium in the post, but Pentium is no longer made or used as a processor name, it died with the Pentium D if I remember right.

They still use the pentium name w/ core 2 architecture. It stated Core 2 line of dual cores so thats basically from pentium dual core and up.

edit: e5200 ring a bell. Since X3 competes w/ the Wolfdales why would they release a dual core to compete w/ the Wolfdales and X3? It's main competitor w/ be the pentium dual core

They will probably be cheaper than a $100. But in the original post it stated the Core 2 Duo, not the Intel Pentium line.... Why would it compete with a line that no longer exists?

Yes I realise it says Pentium in the post, but Pentium is no longer made or used as a processor name, it died with the Pentium D if I remember right.

Nope, pentium is still used.

Pentium dual cores are low end core duos with less cache.

Pentium Dual-Core - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of Intel Pentium Dual-Core microprocessors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Been out of the loop havent you??

Celeron is still used as well, which are the lowest end core duo chips.

For example i have an E1200 which is a celeron dual core.

If I already had a board for one of these I would snag one. That extra cache should make it a screamer.

Water, max air oc is like 3.8~3.9. 4.00ghz with a good chip.

Ok my original coment was that releasing K10.5 Dual Cores is pointless. Since the triple Cores ARE still clock for clock slower then the E8*** wolfdales. So even if the Dual Core Callistos did clock as far as the E8*** series, they would still still be trailing behind.

AMD really needs to focus on their Triple Cores and Quad Cores. Dual Cores are ages old and shouldn't even be considered for upgrades anymore.
It will be 2 cores sharing the 6MB L3 cache, instead of 4. i.e. each core has more L3 cache to use.
so depending on the application, they could get a per-core IPC increase from that.

The Triple Cores use 6MB of cache between 3 Cores and offer slight performance gains over the Quad Core Phenom II's. So even with 2 Cores sharing 6MB L3 Cache, I just don't think it will compete with Wolf Dales at all. At least not the E8*** series.

It's probably aimed more at the E7*** and E5*** series to be honest. Should be great to see AMD gain the low and mid end market back once again.

About time AMD released a 45nm dualie. I was getting worried that they couldn't chop a deneb die up. It will be interesting how it performs with all of that cache.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom