AMD Callisto 45nm Dual core

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's true, but there is always a nice trickle down affect. When you make a very high end product, the tech ends up seeping into the mainstream, and plus the high end market has high profit margins, even if it makes up a small % of the sales.

AMD has a strong pressence in the server market.

Theyre fine, they dont need to compete in the high end.

It's true, but nehalem is specifically targetted at massive gains with respect to server applications. I think Nehalem will likely threaten AMD's share in the server market.

OEMs are where the money is, and they will go for the bang for a buck chips. AMD is playing it smart. They know they can't go head-to-head with Intel in the high end, so they are focusing more on the mid-to-low end sector to capture as much OEM market as they can.

It's true, but there is always a nice trickle down affect. When you make a very high end product, the tech ends up seeping into the mainstream, and plus the high end market has high profit margins, even if it makes up a small % of the sales.

You forgetting how much it'll cost to compete in the high end arena. Your not going to produce a product that falls way short of i7 and try to sell. You'd lose $ in just R&D alone

I can see this chip hitting 4.5ghz on air or water.

Water, max air oc is like 3.8~3.9. 4.00ghz with a good chip.

Ok my original coment was that releasing K10.5 Dual Cores is pointless. Since the triple Cores ARE still clock for clock slower then the E8*** wolfdales. So even if the Dual Core Callistos did clock as far as the E8*** series, they would still still be trailing behind.

AMD really needs to focus on their Triple Cores and Quad Cores. Dual Cores are ages old and shouldn't even be considered for upgrades anymore.

AMD has thought everybody something..

You don't have to have the best stuff for them to be a hot seller... (HD 4870 and HD 4850 and the PII's.. 'nuff said)

I think they price of these will really determine how competitive they are. If you could get a 45nm x2 for under $100 they would be a good option for htpc's or other budget builds.

Water, max air oc is like 3.8~3.9. 4.00ghz with a good chip.

Ok my original coment was that releasing K10.5 Dual Cores is pointless. Since the triple Cores ARE still clock for clock slower then the E8*** wolfdales. So even if the Dual Core Callistos did clock as far as the E8*** series, they would still still be trailing behind.

AMD really needs to focus on their Triple Cores and Quad Cores. Dual Cores are ages old and shouldn't even be considered for upgrades anymore.

These chips aren't going to compete w/ e8*** series chips. If you read they are primarily going to compete w/ intel pentium dual cores. You can't just release quads and tri's, what about the other end of the market? Not everyone needs excessive power. I can see these going in alot of budget builds and to top that 6mb l3 cache.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom