AMD Announces New Six-Core AMD Opteron Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
AMD Announces New Six-Core AMD Opteron Processor

AMD today announced availability of the world's first six-core server processor with Direct Connect Architecture for two-, four- and eight-socket servers. Six-Core AMD Opteronâ„¢ processors (code-named "Istanbul") extend AMD's commitment to offering server customers superior value at every price point with unmatched platform flexibility. Across a single platform, AMD can address the need for more cores and greater scalability with the new Six-Core AMD Opteron processor and offer a cost- and power-efficient solution with Quad-Core AMD Opteron processors. Systems based on Six-Core AMD Opteron processors are expected to be available beginning this month from leading OEMs including Cray, Dell, HP, IBM and Sun Microsystems, along with support from motherboard and infrastructure partners. HE, SE and EE versions of the Six-Core AMD Opteron processor are planned for the second half of 2009.

Well, seeing as Opterons are generally server processors, and it says they're server processors... :p

Just messing with yah. I know people sometimes used Opterons back in the day in their personal computers, but they are made for servers.

Hehe, yeah I saw it said for server machines, just didn't know if people used them for normal pc's too (not that I was going to get one, just curious).

If they are good overclockers and use the same socket as mainstream desktops, then I am sure people will buy em and use em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom