AMD Announces Dual-GPU HD 4850, 4870 Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightSurge

Fully Optimized
AMD Announces Dual-GPU HD 4850, 4870 Cards - Technology News by ExtremeTech
AMD on Tuesday announced dual-GPU versions of the HD Radeon 4850 and 4870, pushing graphics performance – and prices – into the upper high end of the market.

The ATI Radeon HD 4850 X2 is currently shipping for $399, while the 4870 X2 is available for a whopping $599, more than the price of some low-end PCs.

So it looks like AMD is planning iterations of the X2 with the 4850 as well. If the 4870X2 is around $550 right now and smokes the pants off of the GTX 280, I am betting that the 4850X2 will cost around the $350-400 range and be on par or even still slightly above that of the GTX 280.

Okay, this is kind of off topic....but kinda not at the same time. Why don't card makers look into making duel-core GPU's? It seems like that would work out so much better than duel GPU cards :|

but wow, this is kinda weird...AMD already had most of the card market but now there is basically no excuse to buy nvidia right now lol....unless they drop their prices or come out with a new card (i'd kinda like to see a 9800gx+2 type thing lol)

Okay, this is kind of off topic....but kinda not at the same time. Why don't card makers look into making duel-core GPU's? It seems like that would work out so much better than duel GPU cards :|

but wow, this is kinda weird...AMD already had most of the card market but now there is basically no excuse to buy nvidia right now lol....unless they drop their prices or come out with a new card (i'd kinda like to see a 9800gx+2 type thing lol)

Plenty of excuse.

Better warranty, almost same game performance, physx, and better folding performance.

the cores are quite large to fit on the same die, and also AMD has already taken 1 step forward by letting the GPUs communicate directly as well as through the PCI-E bridge.

the 55nm versions should perform pretty well....I think I read somewhere that the GTX 280 shaders will be clocked at like 1650mhz or something....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom