amd 8 core

411 tech king

Solid State Member
Hi, the new amd 8 core which is the the new bulldozer chipset is to have 1billion transsisters but only has 800 million some where there is 200 million missing but over all 800 million not bad buy it for the ultimate speed and, multitreading and, multitasking this chipset relieves gaming experience because of its 8 cores.

I'm sorry I just don't see the appeal of an 8-core personal computer. While I admit it'd be cool to have, six cores would be overkill even for gamers. Buying an 8-core system for gaming would be like buying a drag racer so you can drive a mile or two to work everyday. So much potential that will likely never be used.

That is pointless, most software is made for dual cores, and high performance software(like games and editing programs) use 4 cores max. Its not like because you have 8 cores means you have twice the power, if the game is coded for 4 cores and you use 8 cores, it wont use those other cores, the software has to be made for 8 cores to fully utilize it

waste of money

That is pointless, most software is made for dual cores, and high performance software(like games and editing programs) use 4 cores max. Its not like because you have 8 cores means you have twice the power, if the game is coded for 4 cores and you use 8 cores, it wont use those other cores, the software has to be made for 8 cores to fully utilize it

waste of money

This. (cept for the last part because AMD octo cores aren't expensive at all) There are only a handful of games that can utilize more than 4 cores those being DiRT and Lost Planet and I'm sure a couple others, my reference post is like 2 years old. In addition to games, you've got photo/video editing and encoding that are going to be the main utilization of multiple cores, as well as benchmarking software.

Hopefully this will change in terms of gaming with the xbox720. Kinda depends what it comes out with for a processor, but I doubt it'll be less than a quad core at this time, so hopefully with everyone only developing for game systems the xbox developers will run better multicore support.

it more a matter of being designed to run maxed on console hardware as well as the UI being developed for console controllers not a mouse and keyboard. remember the tragic skyrim menu system...

I have seen discussions like this every year since people started building their own computers
such as why would anyone need a 1Ghz CPU, why do you need more than 500Mb of storage space
and each year the figures change, but the topic is the same

we never need the top end spec machine, but when you buy it you have a future proof machine that can last 4 or 5 years and still perform at a good standard.
when new hardware is released software developers can then produce software that can use the technology
The OS manufacturers can also add more features and build a better, more feature rich and compatible OS (in theory)

Plus when people say why do we need 8 cores.
The best way to look at this would be performing a task like video encoding
I remember when the resolution and sound quality was low and it took ages to encode a video, when we got faster CPU's and eventually dual core it stopped becoming a 3 hour task lol
but now with HD, 3D and the pending 4xHD, the hardware we use to encode this stuff need to be fast and multi-tasking
There are tasks out there that require more power than we have at the moment and the market will always be moving in that direction.

To understand why we need to keep increasing the cores you need to look at the physical limit a single core can achieve and the cost of creating a super fast single core
It is cheaper to keep adding cores rather than make a super fast single core.
So while current software only uses 1-4 cores we will need more cores in the future to perform day to day tasks as the software get more complex and will be designed to use more and more cores.
So while it is not needed today, it will be needed tomorrow.

This is just tech progress and this thread is a regurgitated thread that has appeared every year for the past 20 years or more

oh and don't get me started on how MS and Sony have killed the gaming market lol
I look forward to seeing the gaming machine and devices steam/valve have in the pipeline, I hope they shake things up in a big way

I have seen discussions like this every year since people started building their own computers
such as why would anyone need a 1Ghz CPU, why do you need more than 500Mb of storage space
and each year the figures change, but the topic is the same

we never need the top end spec machine, but when you buy it you have a future proof machine that can last 4 or 5 years and still perform at a good standard.
when new hardware is released software developers can then produce software that can use the technology
The OS manufacturers can also add more features and build a better, more feature rich and compatible OS (in theory)

Plus when people say why do we need 8 cores.
The best way to look at this would be performing a task like video encoding
I remember when the resolution and sound quality was low and it took ages to encode a video, when we got faster CPU's and eventually dual core it stopped becoming a 3 hour task lol
but now with HD, 3D and the pending 4xHD, the hardware we use to encode this stuff need to be fast and multi-tasking
There are tasks out there that require more power than we have at the moment and the market will always be moving in that direction.

To understand why we need to keep increasing the cores you need to look at the physical limit a single core can achieve and the cost of creating a super fast single core
It is cheaper to keep adding cores rather than make a super fast single core.
So while current software only uses 1-4 cores we will need more cores in the future to perform day to day tasks as the software get more complex and will be designed to use more and more cores.
So while it is not needed today, it will be needed tomorrow.

This is just tech progress and this thread is a regurgitated thread that has appeared every year for the past 20 years or more

oh and don't get me started on how MS and Sony have killed the gaming market lol
I look forward to seeing the gaming machine and devices steam/valve have in the pipeline, I hope they shake things up in a big way

i would completely understand getting a 6 core, but i figured the 8 core would be a waste of money because by the time those 8 cores could be used more often amd most likely would have a different setup (not bulldozer).
it all depends how often he wants to upgrade

Back
Top Bottom