Amazon Fire TV Stick?

kelseyann4589

Beta member
Hi, I'm really hoping someone can help me. My boyfriend recently purchased an Amazon Fire TV Stick and I'm currently (trying) to use it to see if I like it. If so, I am also going to purchase one. So far I am having trouble with it. It connected to my Internet but said there were problems, and when it finally did bring up the home page, it would freeze up when I selected something to watch or an app to use. And when I exit back to the main screen, it again tells me that it has been connected to my Internet but with problems.
Here's my question: I currently have a Vizio smart TV. I mainly use it only for Netflix, which the TV Stick also has. But I'm currently saving money to get a tablet, and even though the Stick is cheaper than a tablet, I'm wondering if I would need one when I have a smart TV, and when I'm hoping to get a tablet. I have a laptop but I hardly use it (I think it has a virus, it's quite slow and won't update my software), and I feel a tablet would be more convenient for me, as I'm an avid reader. And to me a tablet would basically be like my smart TV, just on-the-go.
So basically I'm asking if anyone knows the pros and cons of a smart TV vs. the Fire Stick (if you stuck with me through all that ^^^ up there, thank you!!). Can anyone help? So far my experience with the Fire Stick isn't all that great, plus if, down the road, my boyfriend and I were ever to live together, why would we need two? Especially if I take my smart TV with me AND hopefully I have a tablet (I'm counting on having at least one of those). Help??
THANKS! :)

Won't be getting my Fire TV Stick for a couple more weeks unfortunately, so won't be able to be too detailed yet I'm afraid for troubleshooting.

Have you tried rebooting your router (unplugging it from power for 30 seconds and then plugging it back in)?

As far as SmartTV vs the Fire Stick...well the Fire Stick is basically an Android device that you can easily plug into your TV. The Fire Stick will have more options for media than your smart TV I'm assuming (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, Plex, etc... whatever there are apps for out there).

Right now I have a Chromecast that I have plugged into a dumb TV, and use my tablet or phone as a "remote" to cast media (such as Netflix) to my TV. However it requires a tablet or smartphone...where as the Fire Stick doesn't since it has it's own interface and remote.

As for your laptop... if you post in our Virus & Malware board, we can help you clean it up if you like.

Thanks for the advice, carnageX. I did not try anything with the router at the time because I was able to use my WiFi on other devices, so I assumed maybe it was the Stick. I didn't have a good feel for it overall so I don't think I will end up getting one. Maybe I'll try it again and have my boyfriend help me with it since it works so well for him. Now I just need to decide what kind of tablet is best for me to get.
In regards to my laptop, I actually didn't think about posting on another board about it. I suppose I could give it a try. I do like my laptop; I'm pleased that it's continued to work as well as it has for how long I've had it.
Thanks again for your help =]

It connected to my Internet but said there were problems
it may be connecting to your network but not necessarily the internet.
Re-booting the router will re-asign the ip addys to all your devices and you might be able to get the fire stick on line that way (in case there is an ip conflict between your devices)

Back
Top Bottom