Advice.. wait on your new GPU...

Status
Not open for further replies.

StealthTools

Hardware/VB.net/Anti-vir
GT200 GPU *Quotes

Here's some information I have found so far.. Some of the sites are trusted, others I don't trust... nevertheless information is good to have.

New rumors say its gonna have 64 ROPs, 256 TAUs, and a total of 1024 shaders. 1024Bit design, 2GB DDR4 memory
1200MHz core,
2800MHz shaders,
3400MHz memory.
A big one that runs hot We've learned that Nvidia's real next generation chip, codenamed GT200, is a 65nm chip. It sounds like it will run rather hot, as the last time we reported about it we learned that it will have more than a billion transistors.

ATI, on the other hand, has migrated with all its parts, low-end to high-end to 55 nanometer, but since the NV30 debacle Nvidia is simply too scared to risk it with a huge process transition; and, therefore, Nvidia is being very cautious. Nvidia doesn't want to fail, as it has to be able to compete against the R700.

We also know that the GT200 is going to run hotter than the 9800GX2 dual chip card with two G92's inside and that is quite a challenge.
Several sources are reporting on the upcoming GT200 core from NVIDIA, which will be named GeForce 9900. The stories don't match though, when it comes to the specifics. While Expreview claims that GT200 will become the 9900GX2 and 9900GTX, VR-Zone says GeForce 9900GTX and 9900GT. None of them are very specific when it comes to the exact specifications. A user over at Chiphell is though. He says that GT200 will in fact be a dual-core GPU based on the G9x architecture.
While we're certain that the GT200 is hot and will be a huge chip. It looks like it could very well be a dual-core GPU. The users says GT200 is really two G94 chips slapped together, which means that there is a total of 64TMUs, 32 ROPs and 128 shader processors. It would also result in 512-bit memory bus and more than 900 million transistors. Hot in every sense of the word.
Dual-core makes sense on a few points; GT200 is not a proper code-name for an NVIDIA core, but would sooner indicate something like a dual-core spin. The name GeForce 9900 series also points to that GT200 is another spin off the G9x architecture, and not a true next generation architecture.
The launch date is suppose to be early Q2.
Alas, apparently still no DirectX 10.1 support.
GeForce 9800 GX2 and GTX will have a short lifespan since they will be replaced in a couple of months time. [FONT=Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif][FONT=Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif]Nvidia[/FONT][/FONT] has positioned GeForce 9900 GTX to replace 9800 GX2 and this gave a clue that a single GT200 card will actually outperform a dual G92 card. Likewise for GeForce 9900 GT, outperforming and replacing 9800 GTX. CJ revealed to us that Nvidia will have a hard time fitting GT200 onto the PCB since the GPU is gonna be large and very power hungry so we can probably assume it is still 65nm based. The PCB for GT200 will be P651.
Nvidia Corp., the world's largest provider of discrete graphics processors, said at a press conference that it plans to launch its next-generation graphics processor this Summer. The new product code-named GT200 is projected to dethrone the current flagship GeForce 9800 GX2, but it is not clear whether it will also bring new features.

The new graphics processing unit (GPU) for high-end market from Nvidia is projected to consist of about one billion of transistors and feature “around” 200 unified shader processors (more likely to be 192 or 240), reports Golem.de web-site citing Jeff Brown, general manager of the professional solutions group at Nvidia. It is unclear whether Nvidia GT200 sports DirectX 10.1 feature-set or are compatible with DirectX 10 only.
Nvidia's latest high-end GPUs, which are code-named G92 and G80, consist of 754 and 681 million of transistors, respectively. The previous-generation high-end DirectX 9 graphics chips – G70 and G71 – featured 304 and 278 million of transistors, which means that the current generation high-end chips are more than two times larger compared to predecessors in terms of transistor count. Considering these facts, one billion of transistors inside GT200 is not a surprise.
The new-generation Nvidia GT200 is projected to be released in Summer and Nvidia will start to brief the media about the product starting from May, the web-site reports without providing any additional details.
Translated from German:
One the board partner of NVIDIA had us before a few days urgently turns out this year also the Computex in June 2008 to visit. One did not want to call reasons for it us - he was obligated to the discretion. Nothing the despite the planned events would be probably of importance. Yesterday we received details and also unbelievable from a Insider then. NVIDIAs GT200 chip is and is in three months the light of the world to see. Us this source wanted to call also not really deep details, betrayed us however that it was to concern a completely new generation, which besides double FPU achievement is to possess as 9800 GTX not shown yet. It is difficult to reconstruct why NVIDIA such a way walks on. The G80-Technik is not yet in principle very old, the Refresh with the G92 now straight in form of the GeForce 9-Familie completely is only converted. Another partner explained us head-vibrating that NVIDIA lay momentarily obviously as much "in the drawer" had that new conceptions and presentations could be made, when they wanted. One is not safe of last the latter, which a R700 is to really carry out in the conditions - one is evenly prepared for surprises.
NVIDIA's GT200 GPU will be a very hot chip. Rumours are spreading that this single-chip 65nm GPU will have a thermal design power of up to 250W!
At 65nm things will heat up, especially if you put more than a billion transistors together. Such a card will have a thermal design power of 250W, which is even more than the R600, which is the hottest chip of our time and has a TDP of 230W to 240W.

The thermal design power (TDP) number is usually the worst possible scenario and we know that the R600 had a dual slot cooler and Nvidia don't have any choice but to do the same. Water would be the best for such a card, but we are sure that the reference GT200 comes with air-cooling.

lol ^

but we all know to wait, half the post I've made involved saying "use eVGA step up to GT200 or 9900gtx"

FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD

If those specs are true, expect another 700-800 dollare launch like when the 8800GTx came out.

Its too bad this beast will cost a ton more than the 4870 X2..

At least, that is what people are saying..

what's the predicted price for the 4870?

ATI usually has lower prices then nvidia, and sometimes lower performance. But maybe these cards will change that up a bit lol

All I know is one of these babys is going to be in my new build =P...

yea after seeing so much about them i'd love to have one too.
But I think I'm only going to be able to spend $300 max on video card on my new build...so I'm sticking with the 9800gtx and most likely stepping up when I get a job and more money income

I wanna get a 4800 card because id like to go the ati way with my first ever pro gaming rig. (2.8ghz to 3.2ghz 45nm quad and two 4870X2's.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom