45nm AMD Processor for AM3 only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maroon likes to throw around handpicked benchmarks, but always seems to ignore the fact that there's actually not much real world difference in gaming.

A 2.4ghz Q6600 is 3% faster than a 3.0ghz Phenom in UT3....but even if it was 30% faster you're not going to be able to tell the difference between 185 and 225 fps....

Games are not cpu limited these days....only games with older engines like the Source engine are CPU limited, but pretty much all modern cpus destroy that game anyway....

I'm guessing it could be one of (or a combination of) two things:
1. the latency of your input translated into actual game interaction, or instantaneous AI response changes (if the processor can recieve and process input with less latency, that equals more smoothness)
2. the minimum fps being higher on average (means less jerkiness)

But all I know for sure is that there are many reviewers who have said that the Phenom systems seem smoother.

Yes, and i read the reviews and I cannot argue against it. I'm just used to judging things by the fps they put out. Not by smoothness. We need a way to measure that. SPS?

Maroon likes to throw around handpicked benchmarks, but always seems to ignore the fact that there's actually not much real world difference in gaming.

A 2.4ghz Q6600 is 3% faster than a 3.0ghz Phenom in UT3....but even if it was 30% faster you're not going to be able to tell the difference between 185 and 225 fps....

Games are not cpu limited these days....only games with older engines like the Source engine are CPU limited, but pretty much all modern cpus destroy that game anyway....

If there is a difference in speed, then it does matter. Most people who bought the q6600 don't intend on getting rid of it soon. This just means it will last a bit longer then the phenoms.

And i just thought of something. Since intel is about to change out sockets, does this mean they aren't coming out with any new processors for 775?

And one other thing. I heard that 45nm doesn't really help OC'ing due to temperatures, because the die now has smaller parts that are vulnerable to heat. Is that true? Does it just save power now or something?

If there is a difference in speed, then it does matter.
Depends on how big that difference is. Also, it is often subjective whether or not it matters.
Most people who bought the q6600 don't intend on getting rid of it soon. This just means it will last a bit longer then the phenoms.
Not necessarily.....
If the Phenom's are in fact smoother, or if you decide that the difference in fps isn't big enough of a difference to matter (which is often subjective), then the Phenom might last you the same or longer.
And i just thought of something. Since intel is about to change out sockets, does this mean they aren't coming out with any new processors for 775?
Well, that's up to Intel. Though I wouldn't count on it.
And one other thing. I heard that 45nm doesn't really help OC'ing due to temperatures, because the die now has smaller parts that are vulnerable to heat. Is that true? Does it just save power now or something?
just a die shrink and nothing else won't really give a huge advantage. But it will at least consume less power, and produce less heat.

Though with the 45nm transition, they're also going to have faster transistors (Silicon Germanium transistors which they developed together with IBM, but didn't get there in time for the original Phenom release), and lower power leakage, as well as lower delays in wiring etc..

Basically, there will be changes in the materials and fabrication, as well as fabrication methods, to allow them to clock higher and use less power.

There will also be a significantly higher amount of cache, and I think they should be fixing some architectural bugs which might increase overall IPC...

yeah, I even said that Q6600 sometimes gets higher FPS.
But is it actually smoother?

*edit*
And can you not also see that the 65nm Phenom's at 3GHZ or more are fast processors?
at least you can say that. Even if you're not planning on buying one, or even if you say that the Core 2 Quad's are faster.

cmon now, its maroon..what do you expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom