2.66GHz desktop Nehalem benchmarked early

Status
Not open for further replies.
He provided some links... where is he when you need him!
staying away from Intel.....

anyway, from what I understand, the 'smoothness' is actually lost on a lot of Intel CPU's as a trade-off for higher bench numbers (yeah I know, sounds like an oxymoron)

Basically, Intel has a history of making thin, deep cache designs to boost benchmark numbers. It works, but it increases latency, especially during task switching in multi-threading...

On the other hand, the Phenom chips are specifically designed to not really rely on large cache, but to have really fast access and low latency between cores, and to memory... and part of it includes the onboard memory controller, though it's also got to do with core architecture design

Also, I think if the framerate is constant, even if it is lower, it is subjectively smoother than if it varies drastically...

also:
XtremeSystems Forums - View Single Post - Phenom 9850 BE @ 3570Mhz with CrossHair2 Formula
Clarify this for me, please - XtremeSystems Forums

um a while back you posted some experienced reviewer or something that supported the claim to prove it wasn't a fanboy comment covering up for AMD's behindness or something?

that's interesting, I wonder if Nahelam will change this as it seems to have smaller caches plus the IMC.

Not looking for a fight, but why do you mean by smoothness? If you mean by gaming performance Intel still leads. I'm sure it runs games smoother. However if you mean physical I would have to disagree the bearings are off on my Opty's HSF are off so it is loud and makes the case vibrate, not smooth.

Zmatt: :)

staying away from Intel.....

anyway, from what I understand, the 'smoothness' is actually lost on a lot of Intel CPU's as a trade-off for higher bench numbers (yeah I know, sounds like an oxymoron)

Basically, Intel has a history of making thin, deep cache designs to boost benchmark numbers. It works, but it increases latency, especially during task switching in multi-threading...

On the other hand, the Phenom chips are specifically designed to not really rely on large cache, but to have really fast access and low latency between cores, and to memory... and part of it includes the onboard memory controller, though it's also got to do with core architecture design

Also, I think if the framerate is constant, even if it is lower, it is subjectively smoother than if it varies drastically...

also:
XtremeSystems Forums - View Single Post - Phenom 9850 BE @ 3570Mhz with CrossHair2 Formula
Clarify this for me, please - XtremeSystems Forums

^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom