Is a $100 video card all you need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
also, its more than just being able to play basic 3d games.

some people (like nos) are benchmark garden tools.

but the average mid-high end gpu (say $150-300) is not a waste of money if you like playing games at higher resolution with the AA turned on.

i say there is nothing wrong with paying $50-100 for your video card if that is all you need.
and there is nothing wrong with paying $500 for one if you really want it.

my gtx 285 i have currently retails for $350, you just said i need to re-evaluate my life!
but I would say those same people need to seriously re-evaluate their lives

i think your completely missing the point of what some pc users are about.
this is a hobby for me, is having a hobby a crime? this is actually cheaper than playing a round of golf at a nice resort every weekend. now tell those people who play a round of golf each weekend at a nice resort that they need to re-evaluate their lives....
($100 per weekend= $400 month= $4,800 a year to play golf each weekend at a nice resort ie: torrey pines here in san diego, now granted they probably will take a few weekends off here and there, but my dad plays alot of golf so i know how this goes)

edit: to further my point, alot of people who do by high end video cards do not intend to keep them forever or till they die. they like to keep upgrading when newer things come out, thus selling off their original purchace, so they get some of that money back.
its kinda like renting your parts in a way.

A 4770 seems like a really good card and for the price it seems insane

I was thinking about just spending the money but I would need a new PSU and can't find a cheap one that will run it any help?

I went for my 260 because it was reasonably within my budget at the time, because it was just the right BFB than a 280 or a 9800GTX, and it will last me at least a year, probably two.

aaronkupen said:
but I would say those same people need to seriously re-evaluate their lives.

Why? Because they have the money to spend on their hobby? Are you saying anybody that spends more than the bare necessity on something needs to re-evaluate their lives? Everyone that has a nice car or a nice tv? There's nothing wrong with graphics and high quality gaming as a hobby, it's just sometimes a more expensive one.

all though it's priced at $99 i think that most people would want to spend the extra $30 and get a real card like a 4850 or a GTS 250. or is it just me?

Why? Because they have the money to spend on their hobby? Are you saying anybody that spends more than the bare necessity on something needs to re-evaluate their lives? Everyone that has a nice car or a nice tv? There's nothing wrong with graphics and high quality gaming as a hobby, it's just sometimes a more expensive one.

+1.

It's a hobby plain and simple. My psu, mobo, and cpu all fried a couple weeks ago, but I am not ****ed off, I am actually excited to get new parts and re-build. I don't care about the money because I have the rest of my priorities in line...bills get paid, money gets saved in the bank, extra money gets put towards the hobby. Some people build model airplanes, some people spend insane amounts of money on cars, I love the PC and I will spend $300 on a graphics card because I found my hobby :)

all though it's priced at $99 i think that most people would want to spend the extra $30 and get a real card like a 4850 or a GTS 250. or is it just me?

The HD 4770 beats the GTS 250 in somer games and even ties it in Crysis Warhead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom