Zune price leaked/Microshaft DRM putting you in handcuffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

The General

Banned
Thanks to some vigilant Wal-Mart watching by a friendly tipster, we've got a good idea as to the Zune pricetag, though we're still no closer to a specific launch date. By the time we got to the Zune's product page, the pricing info had been removed, but it can still be spotted in the MP3 player category listing at a lean $284 flat. Of course, Wal-Mart likes to skim as much as they can off the MSRP -- they're charging $147.88 for a 1GB iPod nano instead of Apple's nice round $150 figure -- but a whole $16 shy of the magic $300 number we were expecting Microsoft to hit isn't too shabby.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/18/wal-mart-leaks-zune-price-284/

"Microsoft is tightening the screws on their up & coming DRM platform. First, Windows Media Player 11 removes the right to move music from one machine to another. According to their website, WMP11 'does not permit you to back up your media usage rights (previously known as licenses).' Worse, If you rip your own CDs and the 'Copy protect music' option is turned on, WMP11 will require you to 'connect to a Microsoft Web page that explains how to restore your rights a limited number of times.'"

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/06/09/21/1329208.shtml

It's really getting stupid now with this DRM crap. If I buy a piece of freakin' music, I should be able to listen to it on any freakin' device I want. I freakin' bought it...

Plus, all this crap with P2P destroying the music industry is complete crap. Record sales rose 2% up from last year and 5% up from the year before.

People who buy those CD's / Albums continue to buy them and have actually bought more... not less.... I see most "digital music" file sharing as an excellent way for artists to get their stuff heard. It's almost always a lower quality file that's being shared.

Bottomline is this: If artists start producing better albums, I might actually buy more albums. Until then, I'll "demo" the P2P files.

If an artist/album is good... I'll buy it.

HAVOC2k5 said:
It's really getting stupid now with this DRM crap. If I buy a piece of freakin' music, I should be able to listen to it on any freakin' device I want. I freakin' bought it...

Plus, all this crap with P2P destroying the music industry is complete crap. Record sales rose 2% up from last year and 5% up from the year before.

People who buy those CD's / Albums continue to buy them and have actually bought more... not less.... I see most "digital music" file sharing as an excellent way for artists to get their stuff heard. It's almost always a lower quality file that's being shared.

Bottomline is this: If artists start producing better albums, I might actually buy more albums. Until then, I'll "demo" the P2P files.

werd.jpg

^ LOL :laughing::laughing::laughing:

HAVOC2k5 said:

All the good albums that I'd be willing to buy, I already have. All the new music sucks, so there's no point. :)

The General said:
^ LOL :laughing::laughing::laughing:

All the good albums that I'd be willing to buy, I already have. All the new music sucks, so there's no point. :)
Correction. All new mainstream music sucks.

I don't use stupid ****ing WMP for music anyway. Actually, mp3s never touch WMP on either of my computers.

OpticalIllusion said:
Correction. All new mainstream music sucks.

I don't use stupid ****ing WMP for music anyway. Actually, mp3s never touch WMP on either of my computers.

agreed on both parts, i use evil player for simple things and media monkey for real player for videos and other stuff.

thing is, everyone i know that uses music on their computer, which is all my friends, use WMP except for 2 which use itunes. alot of people use WMP and theres a ton of people who don't even know that there is another way of listening to music on your computer.

MrZucchiniHead said:
agreed on both parts, i use evil player for simple things and media monkey for real player for videos and other stuff.

thing is, everyone i know that uses music on their computer, which is all my friends, use WMP except for 2 which use itunes. alot of people use WMP and theres a ton of people who don't even know that there is another way of listening to music on your computer.
There's definitely other ways to listen to music on your computer. For me, it's Winamp and ONLY Winamp. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom