Your Tech Forums experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Erm not much I am a smod now if you missed it apple talk is prity much dead an I have moved on (link in my sig) spam is just as rampant as ever but thats going to change an we have instatuted a shift rotation for the mods to get more daylight time admitedly its only a extra 0.3 seconds more but they are not as pale any more.

Oh an Trotter is a full blown admin now.

What happened to apple talk?!
What happened to the 100,000,000 other forums ? ;)

- Well erm, well done Trotter ;)
- Well done Chris ;)

How come we got a bad spam problem?

Cheers,

~ Tkey

Apple talk was mostly a ill thought out experiment that was filling the same shoes as countless other forums it's still there an the forums are still up but once the domain registration an hosting (prepaid) runs out it wont be renewing it.

Tkey our nature as a technology forum gives us a high prominence in the spam world, we get everything from phone spam, to weird WOW gold farming (new blog post about that btw) it also desent help that the captha algorithim was broken recently. Our spam problem isnt as bad as most but we get a fair number most of them have been registed in groups an we are taking out all the accounts registerd under that IP.

There is a few other issues that cause spam, some of it stands out very oddly we have had administrator an mod user names forged with typos they got stomped down of quickly before they could post but it was odd seeing vern had been banned an then clocking onto the spelling mistake.

We are ontop of it, an the mods thank the users for reporting it when they see it, it makes our job 10 times easyer.

I looked up this site for the first time sometime in August of 2003. I joined, in Sept 2003 as mikesgroovin, shortly after finding an answer to a motherboard question that I had. Played around for a while and helped a lot of people. Became interested in becoming a mod and then, I believe that I approached Dave or Larry about it. Not sure which. At any rate, became a mod here and then a smod shortly after that.

We had a pretty tight team of folks. DM0224, ekÆsine, ADZ, Microbell, Shakie, Emily, Qiranworms ... bunch of folks. I can remember when the "Off Topic" section was at the top of the forums instead of where it is right now. It took a few of us to convince Larry that it didn't belong at the top because we really wanted to get people away from that section. I also remember the first day that the Networking section was launched ... sometime around mid to late 2004.

I had a lot of people involved in the Software, Hardware, Linux and Networking Quizzes. I had a lot of fun building those for people. Larry loved it too. I can remember talking to Larry on the phone about new experiments on the site. They didn't pan out due to different reasons, but, crap happens I guess.

My favorite classic moment has to be when, right after Larry bought the site. He was going to choose two "admins". Out of all of the Smods running, DM0224 and Shakie were chosen. Since Microbell didn't get picked, he went ahead an got REALLY ****ed at Larry ... lol. He ended up deleting ALL of his own posts. Over 4,000 of them ... all providing good information. LOL (no such thing as Pruning then either).

Another favorite moment of mine was when Nubius became a mod. Man, was he shocked. He then realized that he didn't want to stop posting his "edgy" posts... so he quit. And then we asked him, later on, to consider it again. LOL. I've met Nubius in person though and he is no different than he was in his posts ... very interesting and a good thinker. Extremely great guy. Lots of fun.

The General and his extreme posts ... the mysterious unbanning :eek: of The General.

So many weird times, bad times, good times. I began to drink pretty heavily and ****ed a lot of people off ... including Smods. So I asked Dave to remove my Smod status. I still manage to **** people off nowadays, but the difference is now I'm completely sober. I love not waking up and then half way through the day laughing at myself and wondering what the **** I posted on the forums the night before. I'm sure that Trotter can agree.

I looked up this site for the first time sometime in August of 2003. I joined, in Sept 2003 as mikesgroovin, shortly after finding an answer to a motherboard question that I had. Played around for a while and helped a lot of people. Became interested in becoming a mod and then, I believe that I approached Dave or Larry about it. Not sure which. At any rate, became a mod here and then a smod shortly after that.

We had a pretty tight team of folks. DM0224, ekÆsine, ADZ, Microbell, Shakie, Emily, Qiranworms ... bunch of folks. I can remember when the "Off Topic" section was at the top of the forums instead of where it is right now. It took a few of us to convince Larry that it didn't belong at the top because we really wanted to get people away from that section. I also remember the first day that the Networking section was launched ... sometime around mid to late 2004.

I had a lot of people involved in the Software, Hardware, Linux and Networking Quizzes. I had a lot of fun building those for people. Larry loved it too. I can remember talking to Larry on the phone about new experiments on the site. They didn't pan out due to different reasons, but, crap happens I guess.

My favorite classic moment has to be when, right after Larry bought the site. He was going to choose two "admins". Out of all of the Smods running, DM0224 and Shakie were chosen. Since Microbell didn't get picked, he went ahead an got REALLY ****ed at Larry ... lol. He ended up deleting ALL of his own posts. Over 4,000 of them ... all providing good information. LOL (no such thing as Pruning then either).

Another favorite moment of mine was when Nubius became a mod. Man, was he shocked. He then realized that he didn't want to stop posting his "edgy" posts... so he quit. And then we asked him, later on, to consider it again. LOL. I've met Nubius in person though and he is no different than he was in his posts ... very interesting and a good thinker. Extremely great guy. Lots of fun.

The General and his extreme posts ... the mysterious unbanning :eek: of The General.

So many weird times, bad times, good times. I began to drink pretty heavily and ****ed a lot of people off ... including Smods. So I asked Dave to remove my Smod status. I still manage to **** people off nowadays, but the difference is now I'm completely sober. I love not waking up and then half way through the day laughing at myself and wondering what the **** I posted on the forums the night before. I'm sure that Trotter can agree.

aye mate thats good u got sober :D Kudos!

*edit*

BLAST YOU WITH YOUR KUDOS HAHAHAHA Just kiddin man

Joined back in February of '07 because a friend had told me about this forum, after he posted on it and got some good answers. So I decided to join and check around too. I only visited once in a great while when I had problems, and usually got prompt answers. Some time later on, I had started to get more into PC's as I found out I really enjoyed working with them, and remembered this place. Started to lurk more, and answered questions that I could. I was still quite nooby in PC troubleshooting, but as I lurked around here more, I started learning more about them as well. And that leads me to where I am today, as you all (may or may not) know me now.

Zmatt told me about the forums and I lurked for a while and thought it looked good so I joined a year ago. I started out positing advice in the laptop section and picked up recommending builds after reading b1gapl's hardware guide and several of the other stickies.(yes, I actually read them first:p). I kept putting together newegg lists for people and started to realize how slow my laptop actually was so I built my current system and got into overclocking.

lol before I joined this forum I though a Radeon Xpress 200m was a good video card. Thanks for saving me from ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom