Your opinion on the Clinton technology in schools initiative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdinkel

Daemon Poster
Here's a synopsis of what I'm talking about....

http://www.ed.psu.edu/insys/ESD/tech/Clinton.html

1. Provide all teachers the training and support they need tto help students learn through computers and the information superhighway;

This goal has in my opinion not been met very well; its a sacrifice to get goals 3-4 done. That and trying to find time with all the other standardized testing, AYP and stuff set into play by the No Child Left Behind Act; part of that also is that some teachers function well without the aid or use of technology, so the old "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" model applies.

2. Develop effective and engaging software and on-line llearning resources as an integral part of the school curriculum;

This one hasn't been done to its full-potential; a lot of this has been sacrificed to fit AYP and other competency requirements of the Federal Government.

3. Provide access to modern computers for all teachers and students;

This one is kind of fit, but sometimes the quality and usability of the machine is compromised by the (lack thereof in some cases) of a technology budget.

4. Connect every school and classroom in America to the iinformation superhighway.

This one has been pretty well taken care of. E-Rate was a good step in making sure that schools can afford to give their students access to the World Wide Web.

I don't THINK this topic could get too heated ,but then again, the model I'm using for my opinions is based on the Kansas Education Environment infrastructure.

I think this was one of Clinton's best education ideas. He recognized that the world was quickly becoming very high-tech and wanted to integrate computers into every class room so all students would be familiar with them. Unfortunately, school's has drastically decreased budgets now, and technology budgets especially have taken enormous cuts, which makes this initiative hard to fully realize. Most teachers know jack squat about comps and lots of regular students don't know that much about it either.
Personally, I think it was a great idea but the post-Clinton era recession and Bush's education cuts have really pushed the initiative back a ways. Maybe if Hillary (or Gore?) win in 2008 we'll see this little gem's revival.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom