You know what staggers me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kharn

Lord Techie,
You know what staggers me? Intel was never formed as a microprocessor company it was formed as a memory company. The went public in 1971 with a microprocessor that had more power than the ANIAC and it was there first profitable year of trading that's what launched us down the road leading to I7.

Just thought I would shair that.

Fun Facts

Powerful and small
This revolutionary microprocessor, measuring 1/8th by 1/6th of an inch—the size of a fingernail—delivered the same computing power as the first electronic computer, the ENIAC*, built in 1946, which filled an entire room and used 18,000 vacuum tubes.

Transistor count
Today's Intel® Core™2 Duo processors contain over 291 million transistors. This is 100,000 times the number of transistors than were in the 4004, which had 2,300 transistors when it was introduced in 1971.

A human hair
The Intel 4004 microprocessor circuit line width was 10 microns or 10,000 nanometers. Today Intel's microprocessors have circuit line widths of .065 microns or 65 nanometers. A nanometer is one billionth of a meter. By comparison, a human hair is approximately 100 microns or 100,000 nanometers.

Manufacturing
The Intel 4004 microprocessor was produced on 2" wafers initially and then on 3" wafers. Today's microprocessors are produced on 12" or 300mm wafers. The Intel 4004 microprocessor is unique in that, if it is not the smallest, it is one of the smallest microprocessor designs that ever went into commercial production. The 4004 microprocessor is composed of 5 layers.

The next question is how many tf members were born when this chip was released?

The_More_You_Know.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom