Yet another reason to stay away from fast food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
as educational as supersize me was. It was a bit exagurated i think personally. Im not gonna stop eating fastfood because of supersize me. I eat fastfood probably 2-3 times a week. I doubt alot of people eat fastfood everyday and every meal.

It wasnt exaggerated. It was just to prove a point. It's like saying "If you put three cigarettes in a glass of water, let them dissolve, and then drink the water, you will die"

None is actually going to do that. But it puts into perspective just how bad they are for you. Thats what supersize me was, just to put into perspective how bad fast food is for you.

Nicotine overdose. As well as an overdoes of all the other crap in them. The quickest way to get something in your system is to inject it, and injesting it is the second fastest way. So if you dissolve them in water and drink it, BAM! Almost immediately, all three of those cigarettes are introduced into your system.

"Thats not the reason to stay away from fast food and stay with home cooked food. Fast food is completely void of all nutritional content..."

See though, you're classifying all food under that-- while yeah, a LOT of food is like you say, there's quite a bit that isn't. In fact, the last time I was at McD's, I got a chicken salad, it was pretty good too :p

But like everything, you need to balance your diet with exercise fitting with whatever you eat. And I am in *no way* saying you should eat there every day, merely it's not neccessarily worse than "home-cooked" food, unless it's Mom's!:)

And I know--a salad isn't too normal for McD, so go to Subway if you want that :p But everywhere has their "healthy" foods. I think I've seen pretty much everywhere start their own list of low-cal/low-fat food list VS competitors, including Subway (you can get fatty/high-cal foods from anywhere, ya know?). And you know, I asked a few people at high school this... there are a lot of them that a 'home-cooked' meal is a microwave pizza or food tray, those aren't a lot better. Had to mention that!

It's just life, so live...:) Mmm, food. Mmm, want to race me around the block? My friend just joined the army, and I have to stay better-fit than him, so when he gets back, he won't be able to leave me in the dust. Any idea how hard that'll be?:p

Just watch supersize me if you wanna be grossed out. They have a little experiment with some McDees french fries in which they put them in a jar for a couple of months. They do not degrade at all and look exactly the same. I really don't wanna know what they were made from...

gaara said:
I really don't wanna know what they were made from...

Then dont read this:

McDonald's® Famous French Fries

Special Tools

Deep fryer
French Fry Cutter
(or patience for cutting potatoes)

Ingredients:

2 large Idaho russett potatoes
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons corn syrup
1½-2 cups hot water
6 cups Crisco® shortening
1/4 cup beef lard (or save the fat from previously cooked burgers)
salt

Preparing your french fries

Peel the potatoes. In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, corn syrup, and hot water. Make sure the sugar is dissolved. Using a french fry slicer, cut the peeled
potatoes into shoestrings. The potatoes should be 1/4" x 1/4" in thickness, and about 4" to 6" long. (You can do this with a knife, but it is alot of work)

Place the shoestringed potatoes into the bowl of sugar-water, and refrigerate. Let them soak about 30 minutes.

While they're soaking, pack the shortening into the deep fryer. Crank up the temperature to "full". The shortening has to pre-heat for a very long time. It will
eventually liquify. After it has liquified and is at least 375°, drain the potatoes and dump them into the fryer. (be careful, it will be ferocious)

After 1 to 1½ minutes, remove the potatoes and place them on a paper towel lined plate. Let them cool 8 to 10 minutes in the refrigerator.

While they're cooling, add the lard or beef drippings to the hot Crisco®. Again, crank the temperature to full. Stir in the lard as it melts into the oil. It will blend in.

After the deep fryer is reheated to 375°-400°, add the potatoes and deep fry again. This time for 5-7 minutes until golden brown. Remove and place in a large bowl.

Sprinkle generously with salt, then "toss" the fries to mix the salt evenly. ( I suggest about 1 teaspoon of salt, maybe slightly more)

Serve hot, serve immediately, and enjoy! Depending upon the size of the potatoes, this recipe make about 2 medium sized fries.

Special Notes

Note¹***** If you want more fries, double the recipe---but DON'T double the cooking oil. Just cook them in shifts, adding about 1/4 cup more Crisco® and 1
tablespoon lard for the second batch.

Note²***** If cooking for a minute or so, removing, and returning the fries to the oil seems like a pain in the ass, that's because it is. But it is an important
"blanching" step required for that great taste.

Note³***** For an easier clone of McDonald's french fries, you can use the frozen, pre-cut Ore-Ida® shoestring potatoes. Just cook them in the same combo of
Crisco® and lard, skipping the "blanching" process. Cook them while still frozen for 6-10 minutes (depending upon the amount) until golden brown. They're good,
but not nearly as accurate in taste and texture as the fresh recipe.

[ Back to McMenu ]

Holy crap, there is alot to making those Fries. Yet, who the hell is going to actually do that?

Prolly when I am up at 2 in the morning with my friends and we have a ravenous case of munchies, we will make them. But then, it will just be easier to go to McDonalds and buy Fries. Prolly cheaper, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom