Yet another Blu Ray thread......

Status
Not open for further replies.
can we just start banning anyone who uses the term blu-ray in a thread. No one is going to buy blu-ray until they come down in prices reasonable to normal dvd.

Except me, who's about order a stand-alone player and 10 films.

Comeon guys, Blu-Ray films are about £5 or £7 more expensive, Okay the players are about 3x the amount of a top end DVD player, but so what.

TheEnd... Sky (UK) transmits 720P on a few channels, i would argue that one about 10 percent of of the programs quality is superior to both a HD-DVD and Blu-Ray films. Don't ask me why, it just seems brighter, and a sharper image despite 720P and not 1080P.

hd-dvd players are really "cheap" now. as in only 130 on tigerdirect. I don't know how well they stack up against other players locally or anything. but yeah, I'm not too worried about my hd movies yet. i remember when dvd first came out and my neighbor bought a dvd player for 1200 bucks, and it was cool but not 1200 bucks cool for a thing that really never improved, and just went down in value. i don't really care to get into the hd-dvd/blu-ray battle because i don't care about it until someone wins it and prices are under 150, once there's one out and its cheap, i will buy one. for now i'm content with movies on my laptop that look purty.

i've said this on another forum/website and I'll say it here...you fanatics are strange :D Some may say I'm strange just for liking MS/Windows/Vista, but I'm more of just a fan supporter, than a fanatic

I have neither HDdvd or BluRay but I might get whatever format prevails. Some people are hating on Sony for being Sony, much like Microsoft for being Microsoft. This has much less to do with anything Sony has actually done to them but more bandwagon joining just to be a part of something.

theEnd is calling non BluRay people childish! See how strange this whole thing is! And see how he believes Microsoft is still a monopoly? Even with all of MS competition and supposed competition in bluray? So let's say he believes MS is in the HDdvd camp, and there is bluray, and he believes bluray is winning, yet MS is still a monopoly, lol....hehe

because of the actual genuine childishness of theend in this fanaticism, he does not realize MS wins on all accounts, yeehaw
VC-1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So I just counted my standard dvd library, and I have around 600 actual legal dvds. I will continue to buy sd dvd but I do want to invest my money into high-def dvd, as I already have with HVD. High-Definition Versatile Disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

be a fan, be a supporter but don't be one of those blind zealots...you often come off silly when you defend a cause because you sound totally clueless ;)

nothings over yet, and the war is still going on. GO HDdvd AND bluray. hehe

I don't know where it's going or where it will end, but I hope it ends soon so I can plunk some money into things like Planet Earth, blue planet...Hidef nature content rules.

Of course, if HDdvd gets defeated and it seems Bluray may actually prevail, it may die quickly from emerging alternatives like satellite streamed HD and various other optical media.

;)

Okay, just how many of you people are just going to stick with DVD or VHS tape and boycott blu-ray all together just because of Sony?

Why?

I don't have anything against Sony. Just like any other company, they'll have their good products and bad. Like Sony Vegas: one of the best prosumer-level video editing programs I have ever seen for the PC (then again, it wasn't initially developed by Sony, but it's still now a Sony product).

I am not much of a console guy either, but if I were to go the way of the console, I'd definitley go for a PS3 now that they are much more affordable. 360s seem so flimsy and I'm more excited about the exclusives for PS3, and if I wanted a Wii, it wouldn't replace either of those consoles, it wouldn't be my main console, it would just suppliment one of the other two, because it doesn't really offer the same array of games or features, it's a different entity on its own.

But I've strayed a little bit off topic here, thing is, I'm only sticking to DVD out of convenience, but as with all technology, Blu-Ray will probably beat out HD-DVD and will become mainstream soon enough, and when I move out an need to furnish my house, I'll probably really only have the choice of getting an HDTV and a Blu-Ray player if it's like $150 by then or $100.

I can definitley tell a difference. Actually, I went to a Sony store in my shopping center and I saw Spider-Man 3 playing on one of their Bravias (terrible movie btw) and couldn't believe how smoothly it was running at such a high resolution, the framerate must've been really high, as standard DVD now is like 24 fps, what I saw must've been like 60 fps, it was a little overwhelming how fluid all the motion was, but it actually made all the CGI look really fake though. I think the TV also had a high-refresh rate, I'm sure in the HDTV world they use slightly different lingo :D

I'm not sure about 60fps, a bit odd. But anyway it would probably be 120hz refresh rate if it was that good, i don't know how it managed to make the CGI look bad either though..

theEnd is calling non BluRay people childish! See how strange this whole thing is! And see how he believes Microsoft is still a monopoly? Even with all of MS competition and supposed competition in bluray? So let's say he believes MS is in the HDdvd camp, and there is bluray, and he believes bluray is winning, yet MS is still a monopoly, lol....hehe

i didn't say M$ is a monopoly i said Toshiba is using M$ tactics which is to flood the market, which is why Toshiba is the only CE making HDDVD Players, while Blu-ray has over 10 CE's making players, and with tha competition it will continue to drive prices of hardware even lower. Unlike Toshiba, I also like how M$ was totally absnt from the HD DVD booth at CES, and how it merged its HDDuD department with two other smaller departments, which will most likey be let go.

As for VC-1, why does HDDuD use it? Because it is a M$ codec and using it will require royalties paid to M$, Besides Blu-ray's are using High Profile AVC which is a excellent codec. Not to mention HDDuD's lack the necessary storage for LPCM and a good encode, with DuD its either one or the other, or sacrificequality on both.

Toshiba is only company making DuD players, which is a monopoly, Onkyo was going to make one released it, couldn't compete with HDDVD prices so it was immediatley discontinued.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom