yes....another topic closed by jaksback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, i can understand the frustrations here and the reason i closed the thread is the staff here at TF can not support, endorse or allow the discussion in methods of copying (backing up W/E) software, games or music.......sorry, but how in the heck do we know that once it is put out there how to backup something, that it is not going to be used in an illegal manner?

Regardless of how petty and insignificant you may think this policy is of this forum, its the rules here. If you have a question on how to do things that may be questionable, PM someone or simply google it.

I'm sorry you don't like this policy but I myself enjoy this forum and i don't want this forum to get shut down by the admins just because someone else wants to put it out there how to do such in such or whatever.....

--jak

btw.....show me where it states that it is legal to make a backup of software.....every game or piece of software I own says right on the disk that it is illegal to make copies of that disk......

a snippet of TF Rules:
The Tech-Forums Administrators and Moderators reserve the right to change or alter these rules at any time. Anything not expressly covered in these rules is subject to an Administrator/Moderator's approval. An Administrator and/or ModeratorÂ’s word is final.

The above post is true.

Being around another forum, it's the exact same thing as here. If their is talk of pirating stuff and illegal music, it gives a reason for the forums to be shut down.

This isnt what could happen, it's what would happen.

Than the US goverment goes nazi on you, (or software company's) and blames it for homeland security. The other option is to move the server to Canada, but noone likes that

us laws are very grey right now. for example, it is technically LEGAL to copy games... HOWEVER, it is illegal to circumvent any technology used to protect copyrighted material. So its kind of a catch 22.

i still see on each and every cd i own "unauthorized copying, reproduction, rental.........is a violation of applicable laws"

yes, but what laws are applicable and under what conditions. I agree with what you say, simply because until its completely ironed out everything that involves personal copy use is just way to damn grey, just not clean cut and to the point at all. 'Course how can you blame them, because lets face it. Most people are NOT going to use it for just backup use like they should as it was intended. You have to read the back and also see what the trade copyright and fed copyright laws state. Its a pain. Anyhow, I agree. Its something shouldn't be discussed. I could see wanting some generic copy info, but not indepth info on exactly how to circumvent copy protection tech and what not.

jaksback said:
i still see on each and every cd i own "unauthorized copying, reproduction, rental.........is a violation of applicable laws"

they use say that you could "get 5 years in jail for copying a dvd" on the dvd. but from 2001 to early 2004, you was legally allowed to make backup for your personal use.

killians45 said:
us laws are very grey right now. for example, it is technically LEGAL to copy games... HOWEVER, it is illegal to circumvent any technology used to protect copyrighted material. So its kind of a catch 22.

these day, being an american is like a fifth degree felony

look at it like this, (taken from the above site I listed):

The fact is, as ELSPA was keen to point out during last yearÂ’s FairPlay campaign for lower game prices, when you buy a computer game, youÂ’re not buying the disc it comes on. YouÂ’re buying a licence to play the game code, and that licence lasts for your whole life. You are, therefore, entitled by law to protect that right by ensuring the safety of the code, regardless of whether the publisher can be relied on to help you out or not. And since itÂ’s no good waiting until the disc gets corrupted and THEN making a backup, obviously you have to make the backup first.

so it doesn't matter if you copy the disc, because its not the disc you are buying but the liscense. like I said, its a fuzzy line between the legal issues and I for one am going to wait and see what the final outcome is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom