www.texasborderwatch.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
SAN ANTONIO, Texas (AP) -- Texas has started broadcasting live images of the U.S. border on the Internet in a security program that asks the public to report signs of illegal immigration or drug crimes.

A test Web site went live Thursday at texasborderwatch.com with views from eight cameras and ways for viewers to e-mail reports of suspicious activity. Previously, the images had only been available to law enforcement and landowners where the cameras are located.

"There is only one way to test it, and that's open it up for business," said Texas Homeland Security Director Steve McCraw.

Some civil rights groups have criticized the "virtual border watch," saying it will instill fear in border communities and could lead to fraudulent crime reports and racial profiling.

The cameras will operate at hot spots for illegal activity, such as Amistad Reservoir in Del Rio and Falcon Lake in Zapata, and other active border areas such as highway rest stops and inspection stations, officials said. Information e-mailed by viewers goes to the state's operations center and local law enforcement in that area.

McCraw said the project will eventually grow to include at least 70 cameras throughout South Texas, some with zoom lens and thermal capacity. The state is using $5 million in federal security grants that have been earmarked for the web camera program.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/11/03/border.cameras.ap/index.html

What happened to the rest of the thread???

Meh. Guess it was just waiting to happen. Well, I hope at least I got to a few people. I'll be able to do more when I move to the states. Thank you to everyone that read my last post.

It was easier to just start from scratch.

While your post was a good one, it was totally from a liberal standpoint and very highly political overall. Instead of cutting it, I looked over the thread as a whole. So the decision was easy and clear.

When you do immigrate you'll have to let us know. Maybe we can help you out with finding where to go and all.

It's not as much immigrating as moving to the US. I am american, even if I only lived in the US for a year or so back when I was a kid. Not only am I american on a legal standpoint, but also in ideology, although one that has been altered by years of living in other cultures. All for the better in my opinion. I am eager to move back to a culture I admire in some ways, just to have an opportunity at changing the other aspects that I despise about it.

Just for the record, Trotter, I don't think what I quoted was from a particular standpoint. Most of it are facts. The rest was an opinion of how to deal with the facts, not really associated to a political party.

the ENTIRE CONTENTS OF THE THREAD was deleted??? there was lots of good information and tons of good points....and it was just deleted? there was no flaming, and it was just starting to get political. the thread could have even been closed, while the information could have remained intact. or perhaps a few posts could have been trimmed.

i'm sorry, but I'm very disappointed with that decision....

I would like to apologize to anyone I had offended with my post. I was just stating my stance...though I probably do agree with trotter on it being extremly political. Meithan, if you're ever in the Dodge City, Kansas area, let me know. We can grab something to eat.

I'm following hillbillybob's example: I want to apologize to anyone I have offended with my comments. I get carried away by this kind of things. Even if we have different viewpoints on political things, I think we're all here (in this forum) because we share a passion for technology, and that's what really matters.

Trotter, hillbillybob: thanks for your offers, I'll be glad to take them if the opportunity arises. And the same thing goes to you guys: if you ever want to visit Guadalajara, I'll be glad to show you around. It's one beautiful city.

If you're a hawt 20-year old chick, I'll pay the ticket alright! And no hotel, you can stay in my bedroom :D

Meithan said:
If you're a hawt 20-year old chick, I'll pay the ticket alright! And no hotel, you can stay in my bedroom :D

Looks like I'l be going to Puerto Rico instead of mexico this year.....:confused:

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom