wtf-- Does WinXP suck up 400mb/RAM to operate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
mac_mogul said:
I wouldn't shut them off. It would appear that you have no need to turn them off. 1.6gb is plenty of RAM to run any application(s) safely. :)

Okay so, if I restart are the processes gone? I'm not worried at all about the RAM, I'm just trying to understand why it goes here and there.

The processes are just part of Windows. Everytime you turn your PC on, the processes start up. This is what allows you to actually use the computer. If you turn off too many processes, certain features of Windows may no longer be available until the next time you restart.

If for some reason you are experiencing Malicious processes from a virus/malware etc, you can easily remove them using anti-virus / malware removal software :)

mac_mogul said:
The processes are just part of Windows. Everytime you turn your PC on, the processes start up. This is what allows you to actually use the computer. If you turn off too many processes, certain features of Windows may no longer be available until the next time you restart.

So does WinXP like, automatically "downclock" it's processes when it detects less available RAM?

Yes. Nearly all operating systems do this. They optimize themselves for the available amount of resources. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom