would this be legal

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshd

Fully Optimized
to get the product key from my xp home dell edition, and format with a NORMAL copy of xp home, using my old product key?

sorry if this goes against rules, i dont think it does though.

So you're talking about taking a Windows XP Home disc and installing it on a computer other than your Dell?

If so, yes, that would be "illegal" because that OS key has already been used on a computer before.

no, get the serial for my dell copy, and put a non-dell copy of xp home on MY computer, using the dell key. the dell copies have lots of rubbish on.

EDIT: the dell copy would become unused.

You need to do some research on Windows OS serial Keys.

The Dell OS is what's called OEM - Software

The Dell OEM OS serial will not work with other versions of windows.

joshd said:
to get the product key from my xp home dell edition, and format with a NORMAL copy of xp home, using my old product key?

sorry if this goes against rules, i dont think it does though.
I have needed to that for a few client as their Restore Disk is either lost or was on the Restore Partition. I have to do with this a few DELLS, TOSHIBA and COMPAQ where the client never got around to burning off the RECOVERY ISO for there computer before the hard drive died.

Mind you, you will need to go for phone activation as internet activation may not work.
However do not tell microsoft that you have lost your recovery CD. Just tell them what they need to know. Ei. You have a legit copy of Windows with a liget lisence, however it's not activating via the internet

Trotter said:
Would an OEM copy purchaseed from, say, NewEgg qualify?
I hope there was a computer system sold with the OEM copy purchaseed from NewEgg.
Computer store are not suppose to be selling OEM Windows / Office just on their own.

However using a OEM Windows and the Existing CD Key from your PC will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom