World Cup: 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peresviet

Baseband Member
Ok, it kicks off a week this Friday and i simply cannot wait!

Will you be watching? - Will this be your first World Cup? - Who do you think will win!

ModS: Any chance of this being a sticky until the tournament ends? ;)

So glad that I am not living in the Annandale "Little Italy" any more.
Number of football nutters down there. Use to keep me awake on all night. Especially with Italy or Australia was playing.

Hey it's every four years Harper, far too long if you ask me! - It's like waiting for xmas to come over here :D

Italians are definately football mad though, gotta love the banter!

Well after our amazing total annihilation of Japan, we are clearly set to win :umm: That game left me shocked. We have no hope.We effectively lost to Japan.

I'm going to say Spain will win.

Really need to convince to parents to get a new TV. Current TV is to small and too old to watch the beautiful game anymore :cry:

The Japan game was as bad as the Mexico game...but they're warm-ups so i don't ever read too much into those.

Agree with you on Spain though, but can't rule out Argentina or Brazil and i can't see us beating any of those 3 teams...i'm just going to set myself up to be disappointed...again...

Final 23 later today!

I'm not really a hardcore football fan. If you asked me who won in each league this year, i wouldn't know. And i don't know where my hometown is in the League.

I just have a general idea of things and enjoy occasionally going to home games and watching big matches on TV. And the world cup is just a patriotic thing for me, i just really want England to do well for once.

But yeh i do enjoy watching a good match of footy and playing FIFA football games with friends too is a good laugh.

Hey it's every four years Harper, far too long if you ask me! - It's like waiting for xmas to come over here :D

Italians are definately football mad though, gotta love the banter!

So let me ask this. If it is every 4 years, what makes it so different than the Olympics which are also every 4 years as well. ;)

Isnt Football also in that as well. So really how is the World Cup much different than getting a Gold in the Olympics? Other than it is held on the years that the Olympics are not so the athletes have something to work for every 2 years instead of once every 4 years.

I am not trying to be disrespectful. I am just trying to understand. I dont know much about the game as i watch American football and Hockey. So i am just trying to understand why there is such a big draw around the World Cup when it is basically the Olympics but the same year as the Winter ones.:crazy:

Ahhh Leicester, i best not say then :)

Only time the whole country goes patriotic, which is annoying but such a good atmosphere everywhere!

I think this is the best team we've had for a long long time so fingers crossed!

Grrr Mak posting at the same time...

From what i understand, not every team gets invited to play in the Olympic football matches and i think some of the rule (about what ages you can have in your squad) are different. I could be wrong there but pretty sure.

I know England has played in the Olympics since the early 1970's and there's call for a Great Britain Football team, but to me that stinks.

Englands first match......................................the USA! :D

Well i do know that the rules are different. But the same can be said of just about every sport. I mean i know the rules for Hockey in the Olympics are vastly different than they are in the NHL. So that is to be expected. I was just really wondering why it is like this major ordeal about the World Cup.

Dont get me wrong, i fully understand that teams have to go through a lot to get there. There is matches constantly and there is not room for every country to participate so those that do should have great pride in their team which are representing their country.

But again, the same should be said of Olympic teams as well.

I have watched part of several matches for the World Cup Tounrey and i am very interested to try and watch part of the USA vs UK match that is coming up. I have it set to DVR as we speak.

By no means am i trying to put down the World Cup as i do know that it is a large tourney and has backing and following of many people. I am just trying to figure this out for myself. I know people think that we Americans are crazy to go so crazy over such things like the Super Bowl, World Series and Stanley Cup cause they are held yearly. Which this isnt. So it should be praised about those teams that get there. It just seems to me that it is a lot like the Olympics in many ways as well.

Most likely one of those things i will never understand. But hey at least i tried. XD

Totally understand where you're coming from, i think it's the occasion as well, the whole package.

Pubs will be packed to the rafters, giant TV screens outdoors, well in my city anyway, country goes mad which i love!

USA vs *cough* England *cough* Not UK :)

Superbowl i love to watch, just the final though and always wandered why the World Series was called just that. Isn't it just American teams...?

Oh and thanks for stickying this ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom