Workout Questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont bother with a personal trainer, i used to work out myself, started when i was around 13-14 and went from lifting about 120 max to over 300 pounds on benchpress. Right now im 6'0", 220 pounds but drop down to 190-200 when working out. Basically, hit different muscle groups every other day, and only use whey protein, dont use ripped fuel or creatine untill you hit 17-18. Fit some running into there as well. Also decide whether you want to tone or bulk, i started toning and moved onto bulking once i felt strong enough and could use 200 pounds as a warm up.

Thanks on the inputs guys, I had a question I heard Whey Protein tasted horrible, that's the only reason I went with muscle milk.

The biggest danger you have right now is yourself. It is a common occurrence for teens to injure themselves weight training. The muscles are growing and getting stronger at a faster rate than the tendons, ligaments, and bones.

Typically, too much weight is used/attempted, which leads to torn connective tissue and even broken, twisted, or split bones. Torn and pulled muscles are also a hazard.

Basically, be smart in your workout. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Muscular development takes time, so take it slow and be careful.

Trotter is right.

I am a Massage Therapist. If you want to work out on your own start light and more reps for toning and then work your way up.
If you want bulk talk to a trainer......1 So that you don't hurt yourself and 2 so you can get the facts. Too mush weight on your joints now could cause problems later. I have a client that is a trainer and a champion kickboxer and he charges 50 an hour so 25 is a steal.
Have fun but remember muscles heal but tendons and ligaments do not heal the same depending on the injury. because of scar tissue They have a way of coming back when your old to say hello.
and a good massage therapist after a workout can help develop your muscles too...................:)

Right - as Trotter says, you want to be able to start slowly to build muscle. Jumping on a machine or starting to lift heavily, in which clearly you are not able to, will not help. Start slow and you will see progress. You gotta love those kids who come into the gym and try to lift weights that are easily 25-50lbs over what they are capable of lifting. They look like a fool. You don't want to be that guy. Start slow and you will see progress, more than that guy who tries to impress others at the gym. Quite frankly, no one cares how much you lift - they are focused on their own workouts.

Right - as Trotter says, you want to be able to start slowly to build muscle. Jumping on a machine or starting to lift heavily, in which clearly you are not able to, will not help. Start slow and you will see progress. You gotta love those kids who come into the gym and try to lift weights that are easily 25-50lbs over what they are capable of lifting. They look like a fool. You don't want to be that guy. Start slow and you will see progress, more than that guy who tries to impress others at the gym. Quite frankly, no one cares how much you lift - they are focused on their own workouts.

well there are always kids/people who are gonna be like "hey look at that little dweeb, he can only lift xxx lbs."

but in that, those are the kids/people that will end up with serious troubles later in life.

There may be a few, but most of them do not think like that. I don't know if you go to the gym or what not, but "veteran" gym go-ers see the newbies at the gym as a good thing. If anything, they're happy you're trying to better your life through working out and diet, as long as you're not one of those who tries to lift 2x what they can.

I asked a few questions back pertaining to this matter I had some serious questions to ask pertaining to muscle building and others.

I was wondering would it be bad to mix muscle milk with a chocolate milk shake?

Also does anyone know a program that makes workout schedules or a site that can help me. I want to have a workout routine that I follow.

Any other advice I should know? On good note I got a gym membership at LA Fitness for 3 Years/849. Yes I know, cheap cheap cheap.

Is it worth getting a personal trainer, I have ties with the guy at LA Fitness he's been captain of the wrestling and football team and one of the biggest workout artists there, he said he would skip the ******** routines and work with me on whatever I wanted. He's asking 25$ an hour, which isn't bad.

Anyone know a website where It can teach me visually how to use the machines.

I hope that isn't to many questions, well I apreciate the time if your read this long paragraph and thanks on future replys.

1. My brother is 17 and he mixes chocolate ice cream with muscle milk - man, that is SO GOOD. But he's got the fastest metabolism I know, he can burn anything he eats pretty fast. It's definitely not the recommended way to gain weight. "Productive calories" are what you want and the amount of saturated fat in milkshakes/ice cream is not worth it. I used to mix muscle milk with All Natural Peanut Butter/Oats/Milk and that was tastey - but I have since scaled back because I dont burn enough calories in the day to not let me get fat from that. "Productive calories" from clean foods like chicken, brown rice, fish, sweet potatoes, broccoli, califlower, all natural peanut butter, 100% virgin olive oil trigger a better response within the body's hormonal system - leading to a more productive growth pattern than fatty foods like milkshakes.

Whole foods are better than powders. I know powders are convenient, but they shouldnt be a staple of your diet.

2. Your gym membership is pretty good for LA fitness - thats about 23.58 a month, I pay around 25/month for LA Fitness.

3. From what I've seen of the personal trainers at LA Fitness is they seem like kind of a joke to me. Now this isnt all of them, but I just see them do silly stuff. That guy you know will tell you anything to make money, its the strategy of personal trainers. Some of them are so brash that they'll go up to people in the gym and tell them that they are doing things wrong, and that they should get a personal trainer. And then there's the other side, just because a guy is big doesnt necessarily mean it knows what he's doing. I've seen body builders with ****** form, but the combination of drugs and genetics basically insures anything they do will make them grow.

4. Check out this website ExRx.net Exercise & Muscle Directory

5. I agree with other people on this site when they say you should go to a forum to really learn how and what to do. Certain sites have people with similar goals, you can see first hand their accomplishments. Bodybuilding.com is a good one. Elitefitness.com is another good one.

Your goals are to gain weight right?

Nothing I do is routine. Some "know it alls" will scoff at my opinion, but I believe in never doing anything routine as far as exercise goes. I believe in muscle confusion theory. Routine = Plateau / Overtraining = Plateau. I've been training this way for 8 months and my body has responded extremely well.

I also believe that there are 3 major dietary factors that have aided in my success.

1.) Clean Diet - I won't go into detail here, it's fairly self explanatory. Basically, never ingest garbage food and beverages. Eat only healthy natural foods and beverages. (Food high protein, balanced carbs low fat)

2.) Supplements - Two extremely helpful things that I would recommend (Not necessary, but helpful) A.) Whey Protein Shake - 1 pre-workout, 1 post-workout and 1 right before bed. B.) Creatine (There are various creatine products out there. - I'd recommend against creatine monohydrate as it tends to give you the puff look.

3.) Drink as much water as you possibly can throughout the day. The more you visit the bathroom, the better off you are. This keeps your system flushed and clean. (Make sure you replace electrolytes through out the day. Salts & Sugars)

Rest 6-8 hours regardless. Must get your sleep. Allow your muscles to repair and recover. Do not overtrain a body part.

DO NOT... I REPEAT DO NOT FORGET ABOUT YOUR LEGS!
Try to work our legs at least once per week. Split legs into 2 days if you have to. Building solid muscular legs is a sure fire way to getting massive everywhere else. Your legs contain a large percentage of your overall muscle. Increasing that amount of muscle will increase the amount of calories your body needs to build. Burning more calories = burning more fat = the body storing less fat. It's an easy road to becoming "LEAN". Your legs will respond so fast to weight training. They get very strong and large very quick. If your leg workouts don't make you want to vomit, you're not doing them right. Every leg workout should include SQUATS. Squats are the monster of all exercises.

Oh yea. Never, ever quit. I've been training now for 9 months. The difference now vs. 9 months ago is like night and day. What keeps me going is the fact that people think I'm a monster now and I'm not even close to where I'd like to be. I know in 9 more months I'll be drastically different, like night and day.
Muscle takes time to build. It doesn't happen in a few months. But over a few years, you could go from amateur to professional.

Good Luck.

Nothing I do is routine. Some "know it alls" will scoff at my opinion, but I believe in never doing anything routine as far as exercise goes. I believe in muscle confusion theory. Routine = Plateau / Overtraining = Plateau. I've been training this way for 8 months and my body has responded extremely well.

I also believe that there are 3 major dietary factors that have aided in my success.

1.) Clean Diet - I won't go into detail here, it's fairly self explanatory. Basically, never ingest garbage food and beverages. Eat only healthy natural foods and beverages. (Food high protein, balanced carbs low fat)

2.) Supplements - Two extremely helpful things that I would recommend (Not necessary, but helpful) A.) Whey Protein Shake - 1 pre-workout, 1 post-workout and 1 right before bed. B.) Creatine (There are various creatine products out there. - I'd recommend against creatine monohydrate as it tends to give you the puff look.

3.) Drink as much water as you possibly can throughout the day. The more you visit the bathroom, the better off you are. This keeps your system flushed and clean. (Make sure you replace electrolytes through out the day. Salts & Sugars)

Rest 6-8 hours regardless. Must get your sleep. Allow your muscles to repair and recover. Do not overtrain a body part.

DO NOT... I REPEAT DO NOT FORGET ABOUT YOUR LEGS!
Try to work our legs at least once per week. Split legs into 2 days if you have to. Building solid muscular legs is a sure fire way to getting massive everywhere else. Your legs contain a large percentage of your overall muscle. Increasing that amount of muscle will increase the amount of calories your body needs to build. Burning more calories = burning more fat = the body storing less fat. It's an easy road to becoming "LEAN". Your legs will respond so fast to weight training. They get very strong and large very quick. If your leg workouts don't make you want to vomit, you're not doing them right. Every leg workout should include SQUATS. Squats are the monster of all exercises.

Oh yea. Never, ever quit. I've been training now for 9 months. The difference now vs. 9 months ago is like night and day. What keeps me going is the fact that people think I'm a monster now and I'm not even close to where I'd like to be. I know in 9 more months I'll be drastically different, like night and day.
Muscle takes time to build. It doesn't happen in a few months. But over a few years, you could go from amateur to professional.

Good Luck.

Now how many hours do you work out a day, and as far as a routine do you ever go at the same time. Example "Every day after work"?

Also do you use the sauna or anything of that sort.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom