Winter Vehicle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

95BlackGA

Fully Optimized
Winter time is here, and I need a four wheel drive. I'm not so confident with my girlfriend driving on frozen roads, especially in my town. I currently have a FWD car, which does 'ok' in the winter, and I have brand new winter treads on it. It'll drive decent, but if it goes into a ditch, or we need to go around door to door, it won't make it. We do a house check if we have more ice storms. I'm looking for either a full-size truck or SUV, no S-10 Blazer/S-15 Jimmy's, Explorers, 4Runners, Rangers, B2000, etc. I'm thinking more along the lines of F250-F350, 1500-3500 Silverados, GMC Yukons, Chevy Tahoes, Suburbans, Excursions, ect. ect. Not worried about gas mileage, as I care more about the well being of my family. Not a great budget, so I'll probably get financed. I can't go over $7,500. What would you all recommend and WHY? I have access to a '79 Silverado 4x4, and a '78 International Scout, but I'm not so sure about them, mechanically.

A Subaru is out of the question for now. :( I need something spacious, in case I have to transport people. As I said I do house checks if we have bad weather, and I have to be able to get people out of their houses if needed. I would get a wagon, but my girl won't let me.

I love our Expedition, so the Excursion would be sweet. It is a F250 with a full shell, anyway.

Do you get landrover defenders over there? Those bad boys can drive through a metre depth of water and come out the otherside (I have been in one whilst its done it, lol was a good road trip to scotland shooting) they are so rugged they should handle ice. Otherwise Volvo is a swedish car company so I would expect there models to be ok in the snow.

I drive a Grand Cherokee but the SUV's you're looking at are bigger than that.. So I'd say get a SUV. For then you can keep all your crap warm and out of the elements in the back and haul your family.

ice is ice...4 wheel or 2 wheel won't make a difference....ANSWER: drive slower....

I disagree. In my old 2 wheel drive Cherokee I couldn't really go anywhere until the snow/ice had melted. I would sit and spin and spin until I would slowly merge into traffic. With 4 wheel drive in my Grand Cherokee I can come up to a stop sign in complete ice and snow, and drive like normal. Going up a snow covered driveway in my 2 wheel drive Cherokee was impossible. Put my Grand Cherokee in 4 wheel drive and I can make it up with ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom