winrar rules!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is he talking about the .rar compression format or the WinRAR program?

(I don't like either)

yes it is possible to recover a .zip password. I've had to do so a couple of times.
there's a thing called brute force, which basically just guesses the password using heaps of possible combinations. if you use letters only, it will go through from a to zzzzzzzzzz.... depending on how many characters you set as the limit. the more characters, the longer it would take to break it. it works exponentially.
if you only used lower case letters, for each extra letter it has, it can take 26 times longer to guess than a password with one less character. (there are 26 letters in the alphabet)

I've used a program called Advanced Archive Password Recovery. you can download a trial here (1.5MB)
I haven't bought the full version, because I only needed it a couple of times. but it might be worth buying if you use passworded .zip files often (although most people don't)

on .zip files, it can guess millions of passwords per second. but on .rar 3.X files, it will only be around 10-20 passwords per second. because the encryption is stronger.
so you can imagine that it would take much longer to guess a .rar 3.X password

I already try some of those commercial password cracker and they all suck. I even put a short 4 letter password "word" which is in the dictionary and the **** thing can't even crack it lol. I even told it the first 2 letter was "wo", what a waste of money if you do buy it, luckily they let your try it out before buying.

Good encryption will take you years to crack, it's better off leaving it alone unless you want to wait that long.

BTW winrar is better than winzip and winace.

I believe winrar is actually free, after the 40 days trial you will get a nagging screen but if you close it you can still continue to use it though. Anyone confirm this? I still have 17 days left...

Just found out that winrar will still work after the 40 day trial, but their license agreement said you must uninstall it after 40 days. I doubt anyone would..

Anyways winrar is better, winzip sucks because it don't support rar file and who cares about winace...

ya, my friend has had winrar for 5 mounths and nothing has happend, that is funny. what is the point? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom