Windows Longhorn

Status
Not open for further replies.
you cant say its crap when its nearly 2 years befor the release date.
if it is the alpha version that people are using then they would of relesed it already.

why would they spend 2 more years developing it when they have released the alpha version? dont make sense.

bobojuice said:
Unfortunately that just isnt possible with Longhorn. Longhorn boasts a new form of anti-piracy software. Once it is detected that a person is trying to pirate this new version of windows, it sends a radio frequency signal out to space which gets sent back to Bill Gates evil laboratory. He then dispatches several ninjas to the offenders whereabouts. Thereby getting rid of any threat of piracy in a descreet manner.

ROFL! :p

what is so special about Longhorn???
i know it will be improved in the graphics and also the file system,for example you can search it easier and faster access...
this file system, (WinFS) will replace NTFS and also FAT32 :p
in addition, new security features will be included alo.

besides that, is there anything special about it?
i am curious about that but i just know that i have to upgrade or even bought a new PC to fit with this OS.

Do you know what they are going to call this new version when it is released? I mean the name 'Longhorn' is just a codename for now.

-Dan The Man

i have no idea wat its called but yea, just to clear things up, it will not be called longhorn, probably another 2 letter name like XP, XP had a codename "whistler" and i believe 2000 was cairo?

As long as they don't release Longhorn prematurely as they did with service pack 2, I'm expecting it to be a pretty large leap from XP. I'm actually hoping that they choose to go about the same root as OS X did, eliminating old backward compatibility programming to increase overall peformance.

Microsoft has set the target the date for 2006. Is this an actuality ... or did i misread something?

Longhorn

Alright, i have been covering the process of Longhorn for a few months now, and this is what I've come up with.

The beta release is scheduled for May of 2005 (comin up soon)
The final release is slated for December 2006, but Gates warns that it may take a bit longer.

1. New file system - The thought process behind this is simple, how come google can search 8 billion pages in less than a second, and windows takes 5-10 mins to search through only a few thousand to maybe one or two hundred thousand files? WINFS is supposed to have a fantastic indexing service AND force files to remain defragmented. So disk defgragger may remain a thing of the past. BUT WINFS has run into some problems and unless they can make up for lost time, WINFS may be relased after Longhorn is as a patch.

2. Graphics - Code named Avalon will turn the computing world upside-down. Microsoft is somewhat copying what SUN microsystems is doing with their new OS. Go to http://www.sun.com/software/looking_glass/demo.xml to see a demonstration of what SUN is coming up with. Longhorn is supposed to be similar to this.

3. Scalability - Most recently, Longhorn has been boasted to be EXTREMELY scalable. 4 different settings allow both New and old machines to run. Although the highest setting will require a 64 meg or higher video card and at least 512 megs of RAM. For an OS, that is a lot to ask, don't believe me? look at the specs that XP need. XP doesn't need a lot of hardware at all.

4. Gates has boasted longhorn to be the biggest change to the windows desktop since 1995, and anyone reading this knows the HUGE change between windows 3.1 and windows 95.

There are many other things about longhorn that I have learned, and i have even gotten a few screen shots. If you want to learn more, or have a question to ask, e-mail me at bty026@students.jwu.edu or just post it here and i will respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom