Widgets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
It's almost creepy how these things work and how accurate they are... I'm still trying to figure these out. I have the calendar, resource bar, and 5 day forecast on my desktop now using the yahoo widgets thing. It's pretty cool and they're very handy, but I wonder, does the widgets yahoo program just run constantly and relay information from their server to the widgets on my desktop? Or are these things more along the line of spyware, and will only screw things up later on?

I don't use yahoo widgets, but I do use Stardocks DesktopX widgets.

I know Stardocks doesn't have spyware or adware, i'm not sure if yahoo's does or not.

You basically answered you own question:

Yes, the widgets are updated through network access. There will be some type of data source that they pull from.

Clocks & Calenders (your system clock & calender)
System Usage Stats (From you task manager or windows system monitor app)
Weather (by zip code, normally from some weather related site)

macdude425 said:
Yahoo's doesnt. It's just Konfabulator with another name...

Yeah. Didn't Yahoo take over Konfabulator and make it free? Meaning, Konfabulator was once a pay service?

Are there things like calendars and clocks that do not have to connect to the internet to use? I would really like to get ahold of something like that.

well, windows has a built in clock and calender!!!

or do you specifically want it on the desktop?

Dante_Caligari said:
Are there things like calendars and clocks that do not have to connect to the internet to use? I would really like to get ahold of something like that.

I didn't test it, but the clock and calendar were 110% identicle to the system's clock and calendar in the taskbar... and with the clock, it was down to the very last second identicle... so I assume that it's simply taking the information from the taskbar menu and applying it into more of a GUI style.

Great! Where did you say that you got them? Yahoo. If so, do you have to download the engine before you can download the widgets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom