Whole home humidifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We used to keep a pot of water sitting on the heater (natural gas) to help with this.

In the end, if I was going to stay in a house for a long time, I would get a REAL whole house filtration system along with a humidifier and de-humidifier hooked up, ultimate control :D

I hate those stupid paper filters, though they work great, I have become a germ freak and enjoy UV filtration killing things more than them living in a filter o.0

Well, perhaps this is the only benefit of living in England ? it's always wet.. can't imagine ever needing a humidifier here.

Well, perhaps this is the only benefit of living in England ? it's always wet.. can't imagine ever needing a humidifier here.
With central electric heat even with the humidity at 80+% outside it can still get real dry in the house. I like electric, but not that part of it.

electric heat... never heard of that. What difference does it make ? afaik everyone over here has gas central heating.]

edit:

Wow just checked the humidity here, didn't realise it's so high. It doesn't drop below 80 for about 2 weeks, usually 90+
It seems to be like this fairly consistently throughout the day:

humidity.jpg

electric heat... never heard of that. What difference does it make ? afaik everyone over here has gas central heating.]

edit:

Wow just checked the humidity here, didn't realise it's so high. It doesn't drop below 80 for about 2 weeks, usually 90+
It seems to be like this fairly consistently throughout the day:

Southern US central systems are run on electric. Basically in a simple nut shell I'm gonna try and explain how it works. Usually in the utility area of a mobile home you have where the central unit is located. On top you have a triangle evap where the filters go on and where the air is sucked through. The box below it houses the blower which takes that sucked in air and pushes it through the vents located on the floor. The top triangle evap is where the cold is made. That part is linked to the outside box which is the compressor/condenser. When the AC is on, it sucks room temp air through that cold evap pushing cold air through the ducts. The electric heating is produced by heated coils right under the blower box. When the heat is on, these coils are heated up and the blower spins at a lower RPM blowing heat through the house similar to a convection heater. Sorry if the description is a bit crude but that is the gist of it. The electric coils sap humidity out of the air basically causing the inside of a "well" insulated mobile home to be pretty dry. I can make a ****ty drawing too if you like lol.

If you have a proper system, you have two types of heat, heatpump which reverses the AC system, and the secondary heat which is that heating element.

If you have a proper system, you have two types of heat, heatpump which reverses the AC system, and the secondary heat which is that heating element.
Most people with homes from mid 90's and up out here have a single stage or simply coils. Only the newest systems I have run into (as in brand new homes) come with SEER units that are two stage.

Edit: I suppose I could have put the heat pump setup into my description but I was only describing my system and exactly why it gets so dry in the house. Plus it would get kind of confusing if you don't know how AC units work to begin with. Most people think of the evap getting cold, not reversing the system to get hot lol.

Yea, but two stage has been around for awhile, just hasn't become common till the last 10-15 years, at least, around here. The heating element never has to come on unless the house gets more than 10 degrees outside of the set temp, then it kicks that little sucker on. If I remember right, euros and the NE states use mostly radiant heat in the homes, air doesn't seem to dry out with those systems.

The absolute worst part about mobile homes is the fact that everything is cheaped out on, meaning we don't get energy efficient heat pumps and have to deal with very dry air. I try to keep my heat off as much as possible because I hate trying to sleep with my back itching real bad due to dry skin. I suppose it wouldn't be THAT hard to switch it out, but I don't see the need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom