• all

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • host

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark me down for female but not skinny, fat, or buck-toothed. My experiences have been as Emily describes. Since I'm not ugly a lot of guys assume I must be an airhead posing as a geek.

In all of my life, I can say that there have been only 3 times I have viewed someone as a sterotype and never has it been in relation to the computer industry. I always test those I work with to know what I can expect. And if I see room for improvement, I help them to get better, even the posers, although, I have only seen men in this position. SO far...

Emily said:
It's kind of a catch-22: if you're good-looking and female, then no one takes you seriously or respects you because you're just a piece of ass, but if you're not good-looking, then most men won't respect you because they don't consider you worth their time. I know that's a stereotype of men, but that's how it is with a lot of guys, or at least guys that I know.

(And for the record, I don't have buckteeth or glasses and I'm not really fat or really skinny. :p)

Ems I agree somewhat w/ your comment but I cannot agree 100%. In the business world, you will certainly get your stereotypical male chauvenistic PIGs. And yes, it's true certain guys cannot get past own prejudices against females in the workplace in general. It's not just specific to the IT industry - but it's certainly more noticeable because of the long history of being dominated by males in general.

However, in my experience of having worked for several major corporations, you will find ethical and upright managers who are smart enough to see beyond skin deep and hire men AND women based on their merits rather than their gender.

Do not let the stereotype discourage you. It is only a reflection of themselves and has nothing to do with you.

One thing I do know is the male-female ratio of regular TF posters is crazy. At the time I wrote this, there were 16 males to one female!

Emily I have to honestly say that I respect females totally, but that isn't a feature women look for in a man - women like men to drool over them, so they can take control lol :p

better get mine in before this one is slammed....not to be confused by my handle, I am the jak in jaknlisa (lisa now being past tense).

I would like to see more females in the comp industry. The women I've met into this have been both intimidatingly smart and beautiful (intimidating if one lets them be)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom