When buying bestbuy..... what does this mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akasixcon

This is sparta!
I am wanting to buy this plasma hdtv from bestbuy and can someone explain to me what this means:

1. no rainchecks
  2. no interest for 3 years on this plasma tv

Rainchecks I assume means you have to pay it now... but thats contradictgory that theres no interest for paying this flat screen for 3 years.

I basically have little to no credit history as I'm just a college student but will I be able to buy something that costs $900? I have a $500 Discover Student Card though that may not mean anything. Does Bestbuy have their own credit card? do they check credit history etc.. . in order to purchase this item? What kind of ppl would be qualified for this and stuff?

AND YES i will ask bestbuy in 11 hours when they open... but just incase someone answers this before then that would be great.

1. "no rainchecks" means that if the item is sold out when you go to buy it, you are SOL. they wont sell it at the same price anymore. when they are gone, they are gone. basically the price is advertised for what they have IN STOCK.

2. if you have a job, you can probably get it. as a college student, im surprised the credit card vultures haven't attacked you yet in front of the bookstore. they will. be wary. pretty sure BB has a card. yes, they will check your credit. you cant take a dump these days without a credit check. you may not get the no interest deal, though. since you have no credit history they may try to pull the old switcheroo on ya. watch out for that.

good luck. dont buy too much stuff (that you dont need) on credit.

BB has a credit card, it's pretty easy to get. It only takes em about 5 mins to say yes or no and for what amount, you can probably get about $500 thru them. Interest rate is high as heck, though, like 24%. So whatever you buy, just make sure you get it financed, like that 3-year no interest option, that's pretty good.

I don't believe in paying for items with Credit always gets you into more trouble as you have a commitment for 3 years thats a long time to have a monkey on your back. I would save up until I can buy outright so that I know that item is mine and mine forever by buying it I am not giving myself a commitment.

I cant wait till you try and buy a house. ;) There is no way to come up with the payment up front. Same for a new car. Credit is a necessity when having a family, home, car and all that. While it is not always the first choice for payment there is no option when you start a family and need a place to call home and a reliable car to get you to and from places safely.

Even renting is the same if you signa lease. You are committed to the term of the lease. It is just a inveitable fact of life.

^This is true. You just have to be responsible and know not to over extend yourself, because it's easy to do. But you can make the credit system work for you pretty well if you pay attention.

I bought my car outright and paid my tax in a lump sum per annum, but yes getting a mortgage for a house is a given however it is a serious investment/necessity a new tv isn't.

But then again are you a family man? Do you have your own place and your own bills to pay along with having a family to support?

If not then yeah being able to buy a car flat out isnt that hard to save up the money. But coming from someone who has a family you always have unexpected expenses. Babies grow quick and have to get new clothes every few months. If they grow fast even sooner. Let alone the many trips to the doctors office for shots and checkups adds up real quick.

For me even a TV purchase has to be well thought out. I cant jsut think well we can put so much aside per check and get it at this time. Cause once that is said something new will come up that i have to dip into that reserve for.

For many people, Trotter, myself and the many other family people on here, credit is a necessity. If we ever wish to be able to buy a couple of luxeries. Cause saving up isnt always a option.

I am in the UK free medical :) but going on credit means that those unexpected expenses can screw you over as you are reliant to pay for that item every month for 3 years what if you lose your job no income, no payment, no more tv plus normally you have to pay interest so more money for that tv then if you had just bought it. Putting money to the side does work providing you can resist the temptatioof spending it life is about priorities it is more efficient to put the money to the side not saving up for a special item/model but to save for the sake of a rainy day. Then say you have a grande put to one side you agree with yourself that any money after that grande will be spent on luxuries so you always have that grande for a doctors bill or check-up.

I am quite a keen sociologist and a sign of the working class is instant gratification which is optimised in "credit" logically its better to save and be patient but instead you want it you get. Working class partly remain that way as they often go for the instant reward to get a job at 16 then try and work through a company which is the best way to earn quick cash, whilst middle class will go for the higher goal by going to uni then getting a job ultimately giving greater rewards in the long term with total income being higher even though 4 extra years have been spent not working.

I am an 18 yr old student and have two bills that need to be paid (phone and petrol) so maybe my understanding is limited but I feel going into credit with interest in any form is pointless. Last month I slightly overspent on pc parts so my account didn't have enough for my phone bill so I have juggled some money around from my ISA savings account which I plan to allow to snowball and now that unexpected expense is resolved. I have 5grande in a 6month bond that I just recycle back into the best bond I can find at the time so if I do go into debt I will always have 5 grande to bail me out providing I can wait a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom