What's with the atrocious writing skills?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
OK, pet peeve here.

What is it with the horrid writing skills around here? I can understand abbreviations and such, but geez! I'm coming across posts that you have to find a frigging interpreter to decipher due to the mispelled words, hacked words, bad grammer, and complete stupidity!:mad:

I can understand the occassional typo, as everyone who is not using a word processor with spell-check will have them. And I can understand some l337 sneaking in, since this is a tech site. But, PUH-LEASE! Dealing with computers involves some measure of intelligence, but many posts that I see show the total lack thereof. Age should not be a consideration as all are taught grammer from the beginning of their education, as well as spelling and punctuation...unless English is a second language...and even then, punctuation cannot be excused unless it is foreign to their native tongue.

I realize that this is something that I have a personal problem with, but does it not irk anyone else? I know that most who post on here are extremely intelligent people, but I truly wish they would write like in a manner that reflects that.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox now...:zip:

well when ppl are flaming each other they tend to type really fast. well i kow i do it and i type extremely fast but if thast not the case then its just not caring and its really har dto read i agree. When i first got on this site i noticed that and im liek HUH? i dont understnad you ppl! After a while you tend to figure it out or ask them to re write it.

i guess it would be annoying if you can't decipher what they are trying to say. i know i'm lazy, i hardly ever use caps.
my biggest pet peeve would be slow drivers. get out of the fast lane if you are going under the speed limit please.

**edit**
yellow fonts are annoying too. :p

haha ye ai totally agree. or when your on a farm road or county road and ppl want to go around you but your going 10mph over the speed limit! Im like damn ppl how fast do you need to go?!?!

wehn i tipe farst i tned to macke a few mistackes 'ere and there. If i see mistackes, i doont reeely caire, this foorum isnt formall, its just a friendely comunitoy

Trotter said:
OK, pet peeve here.

What is it with the horrid writing skills around here? I can understand abbreviations and such, but geez! I'm coming across posts that you have to find a frigging interpreter to decipher due to the mispelled words, hacked words, bad grammer, and complete stupidity!:mad:

I can understand the occassional typo, as everyone who is not using a word processor with spell-check will have them. And I can understand some l337 sneaking in, since this is a tech site. But, PUH-LEASE! Dealing with computers involves some measure of intelligence, but many posts that I see show the total lack thereof. Age should not be a consideration as all are taught grammer from the beginning of their education, as well as spelling and punctuation...unless English is a second language...and even then, punctuation cannot be excused unless it is foreign to their native tongue.

I realize that this is something that I have a personal problem with, but does it not irk anyone else? I know that most who post on here are extremely intelligent people, but I truly wish they would write like in a manner that reflects that.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox now...:zip:

you spelled grammar wrong

lol. That's kinda funny with grammar.

I do feel the same way though Trotter. I think it's mostly people being lazy to go back and actually re-read what they typed and fix their errors. Personally, I'm a bit of an obcessive compulsive about that kinda junk, so I check each word as I'm writing.

Anyway, it's a losing battle. There's many of studies about the internet trashing literacy. I guess this is a prime example.

AS I said, an occassional typo.

Just a pet peeve. Like getting annoyed when someone moves something on my computer desk. I get over it.

But it still irks me.

Trotter, dont feel you need to apologize for what has
become a real problem on many forums.

Setting any language barriers aside, many folks come
across like they have an 8th grade education or feel
some sense of entitlement to anothers time and
knowledge.

I respect the time you folks offer to help me out so I
try to be as clear as possible so as to not force you
to use a translator to interpret my posts, or even my
answers to your posts.

I think the chatroom mentality has eeked into many
forums and can interfere with trying to help people
or get help yourself.

I love it when a poster doesnt offer the basic info when
asking a question and then the next 3 posts are asking
for "more information".

BTW, I have a real problem, can someone help me please?

Trotter said:
AS I said, an occassional typo.

Just a pet peeve. Like getting annoyed when someone moves something on my computer desk. I get over it.

But it still irks me.

Well its seems to be mostly gamers that are fairly young around here, not many hackers if any, so language skills are not as good as what you may find elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom