What You've Just Bought!

Re: The What You've just Bought thread!

Yea I agree, right now is a really bad time to chose a monitor. It's why I'm sticking with good ol 1080p until something really settles.

Yea I agree, right now is a really bad time to chose a monitor. It's why I'm sticking with good ol 1080p until something really settles.

I just like having high end stuff, even if I don't really need it. I haven't spent my wages for the past 2 months so I keep having to slap myself each time I go to buy something stupid.

Well by problem, I meant having enough cash to just blow it on whatever. Anything I make literally gets spent on bills or sent to my family to pay off my debt.

Purchased a CRD-T tuning box for my car. Standard my car is 105hp with 250NM of torque. It was a pretty decent amount of torque for a car that weighs 2800lbs, but it's a little dead around the 1000 to 1200rpm mark, and performance drops off readily after 3000rpm.

The CRD-T tune box connects to the common rail and turbo, and alters boost and fuel delivery. There are about 8 different presets to choose from. At best it increases hp from 105 to about 140, and 250Nm to about 330Nm. The official figures are a little lower on the website, but from what i've read they are slightly conservative on the site.

Not only does it increase overall power, but the turbo is set to spool up earlier in the rev range and also comes on faster (that's one of the presets, anyway). Of course when you floor it, more fuel is delivered too. But due to the increased power lower in the rev range in normal more eco driving MPG actually increases. Lots of reports that these changes really help improve throttle response, eliminate much of the feel of turbo lag, and then ofcourse just more power in general.

It wasn't a cheap tune box, basically the best you can get bar going and getting a proper custom ECU remap. Cost me £400, but I am happy to pay that if it does what so many people say it does. If not, 14 day money back guarantee.

Exciting :D

Just don't mention it to your insurance dude, they tried dinging me for a snorkel on my Defender (factory fitted), and again when they tried to ding me again for the work / spot lamp.

They have no problem with the winch however, or the Wolf tiers.

Just don't mention it to your insurance dude, they tried dinging me for a snorkel on my Defender (factory fitted), and again when they tried to ding me again for the work / spot lamp.

They have no problem with the winch however, or the Wolf tiers.

Actually I did the opposite.

I phoned them up today and told them. I already know they would up my premium, and up it they did. It went from £99 per month to £115 per month. For the sake of £16 per month I wasn't going to risk being in a bad crash, writing off a £16K car, and then not having it covered whatsoever by the insurance because they discovered I had installed a performance enhancing part. Where the hell would I get £16K from ? :eek:

There is a 99% chance most people would get away with not telling their insurance. It can be removed in 10 minutes, so provided the crash is fairly minor and you can drive the car away you can just remove the tuning box before they repair the car. But if it's a bad crash and it gets towed away, you don't get that opportunity.

Fair enough, when I first insured my defender it was with Admiral but now I am with the NFU and they are cheaper and are OK with reasonable mods to the car.

Back
Top Bottom