What You've Just Bought!

Re: The What You've just Bought thread!

Lets keep this thread roughly on topic lol, if kman wants any help planning his finances better he can create a thread. FWIW man, I can tell you there are several costs you're still overlooking but I've said my piece.

Bought a beef, cheese, and bacon pie for lunch. Whack in some chilli sauce and that'll go down well :D

Honestly, the rest of the world think the American culture is all about overspending, which is true....however when I lived in England I was shocked to see that banks were offering overdraft amounts on checking accounts...and nearly all of my friends kept their balances between -500 or -1500.

Somehow this is accepted as a normal thing there. :/ Horrible and quite frankly, stupid.

What is the interest rate on that?
Loans from the Student Finance Company are interest-free (well, it goes up or down with the actual interest rate).

Somehow this is accepted as a normal thing there. :/ Horrible and quite frankly, stupid.
Can't say I know that as the norm, but then my family has always been quite strict with money, plus my friends and I don't have overdrafts.

im not exactly sure what pp mguire is getting at, im not him, but what i think he is getting at is, when ur taking out loans and going to university and becoming an independent adult, it is best not to frivolously spend money. For instance im working this year and going off to university in waterloo in the fall entry of 2012, i am saving pennies for i don't have to get loans. You might want to think about do u really need something like an iphone 5 when u already have an iphone 4, which most would say is more then you need already. As well, spending money on new stuff like this while your mommy and daddy are paying your bills is a sign of not being independent. Im not attacking no one, don't take it like that, its just my thoughts.

this next bit is my opinion, not fact.

University in a way is really meant to prepare you for being an independent thinker, and being able to do well in your field. If your getting handed things, and staying home with your parents IMO your sort of wasting your time. I know you could say just because you are like this now doesn't mean you can't change when it comes right down to it. But it is a rude awakening, i was spoiled child pre secondary school. But once i got into secondary school my parents wanted me to start becoming independent so i had to pave my own road. Had to make my own decisions about my future. You may want to consider doing the same. Prepare for the unexpected, for example, whats to say you get a job after university, you never know what could happen. You should be ready to adapt to your situation, your education should also be flexible. By a flexible education i mean you should be ready for more then one specific career. After all you don't want to be living with your parents into your mid to late 20's unless absolutely necessary because people like that tend to be very dependent on others, by habit.

Just a friendly piece of advise
Eh kinda what I was getting at but not really. Basically I was referring to how he was saying he wont be getting his loan, then does and buys a bunch of crap, then has to sell it, then wants to buy more crap, ect. Like was said, need to stay on topic.

I went away to university for a year and a half, found that it wasn't for me and I was much better off at home in a more stable environment that lead me to be more productive and will allow me to get a much better job when I graduate with a 2 year degree (which I will do with $0 in loans rather than possibly having some amount if I had stayed at a 4 year school. Just throwing my personal experience of 'leaving the nest' into this. Also I feel like kman has a good grip on his financial limits.

Remember Nosboost and veedubfreak updating their rigs every time something big came out? I think part of it has to do with the fact that kman is young and therefore to us he might seem naive, or he just does something that we see as dumb (paying termination fees for a new phone). But some kids aren't as immature as we would think. And plus, even if he is immature, it's easy to know the right thing, it's hard to do the right thing, especially when you've got mommy and daddy's credit card behind you. I've been there done that.

As for me keeping this thread on topic, I bought a hose to keep emissions people happy and a valve timing controller for my volvo. those installed, and another 1k down the drain. hoooooooooray.

I went away to university for a year and a half, found that it wasn't for me and I was much better off at home in a more stable environment that lead me to be more productive and will allow me to get a much better job when I graduate with a 2 year degree (which I will do with $0 in loans rather than possibly having some amount if I had stayed at a 4 year school. Just throwing my personal experience of 'leaving the nest' into this. Also I feel like kman has a good grip on his financial limits.
all valid points.

Bought break fluid. (only thing i have bought within the last two days that i can use to keep my post on topic lol :p)

Bought break fluid. (only thing i have bought within the last two days that i can use to keep my post on topic lol :p)
Break fluid...helps with breaking things?

Bought a few PSUs to keep spare around here, just in case. Also bought MOAR monitors and some external hdd cases.

Remember Nosboost and veedubfreak updating their rigs every time something big came out? I think part of it has to do with the fact that kman is young and therefore to us he might seem naive, or he just does something that we see as dumb (paying termination fees for a new phone). But some kids aren't as immature as we would think. And plus, even if he is immature, it's easy to know the right thing, it's hard to do the right thing, especially when you've got mommy and daddy's credit card behind you. I've been there done that.

As for me keeping this thread on topic, I bought a hose to keep emissions people happy and a valve timing controller for my volvo. those installed, and another 1k down the drain. hoooooooooray.
You kinda proved that he tips into the financial immaturity. Anybody who uses mommy and daddy's credit as an excuse to blow money means immaturity. The difference between maturity and immaturity in finances is knowing your limits and actually staying within those limits. Having and using an overdraft is essentially spending money you don't have. It's how banks make bank.

Back
Top Bottom