What You've Just Bought!

Re: The What You've just Bought thread!

^Seen the series?
Bought some new hardware for dad for Fathers day, his pc had been broken a couple months (mobo went and took cpu with it). Just an i3 2120, 5570 + 4Gb 1333Mhz ram. Runs fast as, love new + uncluttered computers :D

^Seen the series?

Not yet. I have it sitting awaiting my viewing pleasure, though.

I did watch the intro of the first episode and was ticked off as it did not follow the book worth a spit. The way I see it, you either follow the book or you don't do it. The opening of the series was written perfectly well to be done exactly like that... but instead they completely screwed it up. Having Royce rise as an Other and kill Will was a huge bit of foreshadowing, not having some kid with half glowing eyes stalk him through snow. besides, the temperature was above freezing in the prologue as they talked about the Wall weeping but the show had it snowing. Geez.

Best if you dont' think about the books and keep trying to compare the series to it. It's the director's spin on it, so yes it's different. Pretend it's not based on anything, take it as it is. You'll enjoy it more :thumbsup: it really is a well made series, and the plot/storyline is solid too.

I did watch the intro of the first episode and was ticked off as it did not follow the book worth a spit. The way I see it, you either follow the book or you don't do it. The opening of the series was written perfectly well to be done exactly like that... but instead they completely screwed it up. Having Royce rise as an Other and kill Will was a huge bit of foreshadowing, not having some kid with half glowing eyes stalk him through snow. besides, the temperature was above freezing in the prologue as they talked about the Wall weeping but the show had it snowing. Geez.

So what if it doesn't follow the book..

If the film came out first, and then the book didn't follow that - you'd then moan that the book didn't copy the film at all, just for the sake of it - despite of which one is better.

I'm sure the director did it for a reason, considering it's got an IMDB rating of 9.5/10 it seems like he made the right decision too.

I am a reader first, watcher second.

Im a watcher first, reader never.

Man i hate books with a passion. Why look at paper when i can look at a moving image in full color hundreds of times better with more information than a book could ever convey.

I've never read through an entire fiction book in my life, and never intend to either. I've tried once or twice when i was younger and got bored after about 10 pages.

Books are great because you create your own story, all the subtle details that aren't mentioned you have to fill in yourself and because of this many people (myself included) find it much easier to immerse themselves in a book than a movie. You can get picture books tho if that's what you're after :p all these *words* amirite?!

Films are great because they create characters/scenes which don't require your imagination. Things you couldn't or wouldn't ever think of, you just gotta sit back and watch.

Obviously not the two only things, but good examples of why both forms of media have their own charm.

Give it a shot, I saw most of the series and then started reading the books. While I prefer the story as is in the books I still love the series. It's well produced and big budget. I think casting is pretty brilliant too.

Im a watcher first, reader never.

Man i hate books with a passion. Why look at paper when i can look at a moving image in full color hundreds of times better with more information than a book could ever convey.

I've never read through an entire fiction book in my life, and never intend to either. I've tried once or twice when i was younger and got bored after about 10 pages.
Some movies wouldn't be worth a **** without books...just sayin. That's coming from somebody who used to read 98% of the day to I wont touch a book at all. Unless it's a strategy guide.

Back
Top Bottom