What You've Just Bought!

Dyson V 11 cordless vac for my mum. It's a surprise for when she gets home from work, so I hope she likes it.

She has this cheap corded vac at the moment that she hates. It's heavy as hell, and because it's corded and we don't have a driveway it's a PITA for using it to clean the car and such which mum likes to do quite a lot. All our house rooms are small too, and a big heavy corded vac just doesn't work very well. Have to unplug and replug it every few minutes as you move rooms.

So yeah she has been wanting a cordless Dyson vac for ages, but noway she can afford one. Dyson has this kind of 50/50 reputation where people both love and hate them. But I did a bit of research, and the Dyson V11 has the most powerful cordless vac out there, and even though it is plasticy and some people say breaks easily (though it still gets 4.5/5 overall on Amazon), it seems nicely designed for the most part. It has a 2 year warranty, and Dyson will come out and fix anything and everything for a £89 charge. So overall it seemed like the right choice. Plus to be honest, my mum is super into brands and image, and all the vloggers she loves use Dysons, so it's as much about that to her as how good it actually is :lol:

I googled it and saw the below and though "$149 for a vac ain't too bad"
py4IcrR.png

Then I scroll down and realise JUST a dock is $149, and the actual vacuum is over A THOUSANd DOlLaRs?!! M8 :p shoulda got the xiaomi f8

Last edited:
Dyson V 11 cordless vac for my mum. It's a surprise for when she gets home from work, so I hope she likes it.

She has this cheap corded vac at the moment that she hates. It's heavy as hell, and because it's corded and we don't have a driveway it's a PITA for using it to clean the car and such which mum likes to do quite a lot. All our house rooms are small too, and a big heavy corded vac just doesn't work very well. Have to unplug and replug it every few minutes as you move rooms.

So yeah she has been wanting a cordless Dyson vac for ages, but noway she can afford one. Dyson has this kind of 50/50 reputation where people both love and hate them. But I did a bit of research, and the Dyson V11 has the most powerful cordless vac out there, and even though it is plasticy and some people say breaks easily (though it still gets 4.5/5 overall on Amazon), it seems nicely designed for the most part. It has a 2 year warranty, and Dyson will come out and fix anything and everything for a £89 charge. So overall it seemed like the right choice. Plus to be honest, my mum is super into brands and image, and all the vloggers she loves use Dysons, so it's as much about that to her as how good it actually is :lol:

Years ago we had a corded Dyson and we really liked it but after several years the plastic does break and when I contacted Dyson for replacement they wanted almost $200. for a new canister(plastic piece that held the canister to the vac broke off). Be prepared for when it does break that it'll be might cheaper just to get another vac. We got about 4 or 5 years out of ours but that was a long time ago. I don't think that today Dyson sells a corded vac?
Personally for what they cost they ought to last a lot longer than 4 or 5 yrs.

Last edited:
I googled it and saw the below and though "$149 for a vac ain't too bad"
py4IcrR.png

Then I scroll down and realise JUST a dock is $149, and the actual vacuum is over A THOUSANd DOlLaRs?!! M8 :p shoulda got the xiaomi f8

The Xiaomi is decent but it's not really on the V11 level - but then it's half the price so I wouldn't expect it to be. It has less suction, battery life, accessories, warranty etc.

Problem is cheaper cordless vacs are not even really worth it if you intend on cleaning your whole house at once, because the suction isn't strong enough on low settings for a good clean, and they only have enough battery life on low to do a whole house. If you just spot clean every so often, they're fine though. But mum doesn't do that, she does whole house top to bottom. Only the expensive models combine strong suction and longer battery life really.

It is ****ing expensive (900 aud here), but I like to buy my mum nice stuff as she earns sod all money and has no means of buying nice stuff for herself :D

Years ago we had a corded Dyson and we really liked it but after several years the plastic does break and when I contacted Dyson for replacement they wanted almost $200. for a new canister(plastic piece that held the canister to the vac broke off). Be prepared for when it does break that it'll be might cheaper just to get another vac. We got about 4 or 5 years out of ours but that was a long time ago. I don't think that today Dyson sells a corded vac?
Personally for what they cost they ought to last a lot longer than 4 or 5 yrs.

Yeah pretty much. The warranty is 2 years and then the service fee after that is about £89 I think - and for that they will fix any issue. Not cheap, but cheaper than a whole new vac.

Last edited:
How long does that £89.00 cover you for?
If you only get 2 yrs coverage on a 2 year warranty...well, do not waste your money.
You really need to check that warranty in writing and forget whatever they "told you" when you made that purchase, at least that is the way here in the U.S.
"Caveat Emptor" is generally the legal rule here.
If it's not in writing (in your possession) then it don't mean squat

Last edited:
Mum was really happy with it and had a little happy cry :lol: .

Seems good so far. It arrived on low battery but she had a quick blitz around the house and it did perfectly on the auto settings. Light and maneuverable. I like it.

Think i'll vac my car out tomorrow with it...

Bought/renewed my passport for my upcoming Malaysia trip
Also bought my new BBQ/smoker last Friday!
B9ZAYC9.jpg

Nice! want one of them myself one day when I have a place with room.

On the same cooking theme, I *finally* got myself a nice knife set. I've no idea why I waited til now. I even bought my dad a set of IO Shen's last year, but til this day the best knives i've had were a £40 Wustof and a Kyocera Ceramic knife.

But now I bought this, should arrive tomorrow :D A nice Kai Shun Japanese knife set.

Kai Premier Tim Mälzer knife set
71JnVXkHP7L._SL1200_.jpg

Glad to see you're not just blowing through your severance package :p they are some nice *** knives though. LOVE my Tojiro chef knife, bought it nearly 6 years ago now and it's still going strong. Never realised how much I was fighting stuff before then, or tbh how much of a quality difference it makes to properly cut a lot of foods instead of more bluntly crushing/smushing them.

Back
Top Bottom