What You've Just Bought!

FedEx did that to me the last time they delivered. Luckily I have good neighbors and she brought it over to me the next day. I gave Fex Ex a major rant on the phone and the day after that the FedEx driver came to my house to blame it on his boss, I proceeded to rip on him too.
I told him I don't care if it was a little green man from Uranus that delivers, I just want it delivered to the right address

Last edited:
So, sent back the Thinkpad and bought a 15" rMBP last night.. It's unbelievable how much of a better fit and finish this laptop has than the Thinkpad, especially for the same price. The biggest difference is graphics processing, but eh, it'll play my games just fine (StarCraft and WoW and Minecraft)

Even the touch bar is growing on me (though, given the option I would have opted for just the Function row).

The keyboard is growing on me too. I thought the shallowness would be a deal breaker but after typing on it for a few hours I hardly notice. Still gives a nice clicky sound and feeling.

Next I'm going to buy an eGPU and slap my 1080 in it and see how things work. I'd love to have just a single computer for everything.

It's happened bois, I did the thing I said I wouldn't do because I have no self control and just generally feel uncomfortable with my day to day life if I dont have a top GPU. :lol: Was never a fan of RGB having see plenty of pics, but I gotta say IRL it looks pretty sweet. Naff, but fun :p

Upgraded to:

Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470 Mobo
Corsair RGB Pro DDR4 3200Mhz CAS16
EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra
Corsair 750D ATX Tower Airflow edition

It was a smooth install. Great case for the price, probably the best case i've used yet despite being a bit cheaper than others i've had in the past. The RGB on the memory and GPU looks great through the window. Unfortunately I now no longer have room for my crappy dell 2nd monitor, so it's ontop of the tower for now :(

The only issue I am having is performance is about 5% slower than what reviewers have achieve in their benchmarks, so still trying to nail down the route cause of that.

na25CAx.jpg

hEqq5Vk.jpg

So, sent back the Thinkpad and bought a 15" rMBP last night.. It's unbelievable how much of a better fit and finish this laptop has than the Thinkpad, especially for the same price. The biggest difference is graphics processing, but eh, it'll play my games just fine (StarCraft and WoW and Minecraft)

Even the touch bar is growing on me (though, given the option I would have opted for just the Function row).

The keyboard is growing on me too. I thought the shallowness would be a deal breaker but after typing on it for a few hours I hardly notice. Still gives a nice clicky sound and feeling.

Next I'm going to buy an eGPU and slap my 1080 in it and see how things work. I'd love to have just a single computer for everything.

Apple reigns supreme as usual. Nah i'm being sarcastic really, I know people on here can't stand Apple fanbois so i'm just trying to annoy them :p

Not used the recent MBPs. The only thing I know about them is the display failure issue due to the ribbon cable stretching at the hinge. Other than that, they do look like very nice machines. My boss has an X1 too and he has had the exact same issue as you.

Last edited:
Upgraded to:

EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra

I like those Corsair cases, I have a Corsair case also (different model), and still like it after several years of use but I keep hearing good things about those Phantek cases too. My curiosity is up and going on something like that for my next pc

I like those Corsair cases, I have a Corsair case also (different model), and still like it after several years of use but I keep hearing good things about those Phantek cases too. My curiosity is up and going on something like that for my next pc

I had the Phantkes Primo Orange limited edition a few years back. It was a good case from what I remember. Though, it was more expensive than this Corsair and yet I would say this Corsair is the better designed and well made case funnily enough.

It's happened bois, I did the thing I said I wouldn't do because I have no self control and just generally feel uncomfortable with my day to day life if I dont have a top GPU. :lol: Was never a fan of RGB having see plenty of pics, but I gotta say IRL it looks pretty sweet. Naff, but fun :p

Upgraded to:

EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra

It was a smooth install. Great case for the price, probably the best case i've used yet despite being a bit cheaper than others i've had in the past. The RGB on the memory and GPU looks great through the window. Unfortunately I now no longer have room for my crappy dell 2nd monitor, so it's ontop of the tower for now :(

The only issue I am having is performance is about 5% slower than what reviewers have achieve in their benchmarks, so still trying to nail down the route cause of that.

na25CAx.jpg

hEqq5Vk.jpg

Apple reigns supreme as usual. Nah i'm being sarcastic really, I know people on here can't stand Apple fanbois so i'm just trying to annoy them :p

Not used the recent MBPs. The only thing I know about them is the display failure issue due to the ribbon cable stretching at the hinge. Other than that, they do look like very nice machines. My boss has an X1 too and he has had the exact same issue as you.
You're getting lower performance because the CPU is a bottleneck.

I wouldn't have thought so, assuming he meant 4K gaming, but I couldn't find a review to easily verify that in a 5 second google either :p

Bought a whole ton of supplies for my house for renovation, including new kitchen cabinets and benchtops, light fixtures, induction stovetop, oven, rangehood. Now comes the fun part of ripping out teh old crap and installing the new :D booked a week off work to do it

You're getting lower performance because the CPU is a bottleneck.

Turned out to be the BIOS believe it or not. I flashed it to v1201 and now I get near identical performance at 4K to other reviews +/- 1 or 2fps. CPU only becomes a more obvious bottleneck when I switch to 1080P for 120Hz mode on my monitor.

Back
Top Bottom