What You've Just Bought!

Are you on an OLED ? I find bright HDR games better than dark HDR because the FALD on this monitor is super aggresive. Basically if there is even 1 bright pixel each one of the backlight zones, it will turn the backlight on high. Whereas the Samsung QLED TVs do the opposite, theyre quite aggresive in keeping the FALD turned off or down to preserve good black levels. Obviously OLED dont have either issue as its per pixel.
I'm not on OLED, I'm on Samsung QLED :lol: I have very sensitive eyes though so the bright stuff I mentioned before actually physically hurts. The coloration and contrast in the BF1 night maps though was amazing. I personally feel graphically Battlefront 2 looks better than BF1, but on the flip side it's hard to play because it's very "Star Wars" looking. Another scenario in that game that hurts is the Kamino interiors that are all white.

One thing I forgot to mention before, I don't really care about HDR movies. I have watched segments of HDR movies on both my monitor and TV and don't really care.

So tl;dr the wraith prism cooler that came with my 2700X didn't fit because i'd thrown out my mobo fan brackets, ffs. Couldn't find them for sale anywhere, so I just ordered a mediocre cooler online, the Bequiet Hard Rock Silent. I didn't even read reviews on it really, just seemed like an average size and said it will cool the TDP of the 2700x, so fine whatever, i'm not OC'ing or anything. I didn't want or need the leetest CPU air cooler ever.

Apparently I measured the height of my case wrong, because the cooler is 1cm higher than will fit in my case. Ffs. Out comes the dremel! :lol:

1SFykqs.jpg

Bought an Alcatel V3 Android Smart Phone. 5.5" Screen. Quad Core. 16 GiB Model and I also got a 32GiB Mem card and have just ordered a Case off Amazon for it.

Probably the most expensive thing I own apart from my TV .

Bought an Alcatel V3 Android Smart Phone. 5.5" Screen. Quad Core. 16 GiB Model and I also got a 32GiB Mem card and have just ordered a Case off Amazon for it.

Probably the most expensive thing I own apart from my TV .

wh...
Didn't you just destroy your old phone to stop you from making poor financial decisions?

wh...
Didn't you just destroy your old phone to stop you from making poor financial decisions?

Let me explain.

On my old LG Leon Lite the screen had pretty much died or at least was well on its way to being completely dead. The phone was a 8GiB Model and couldn't handle any updates and was running Android 7. Out of date IMO with Android 9 I now think is available.

The biggest problem I had was the screen and the Phones Memory capacity.

I went to the local shop on Thursday morning and after buying some essentials I bought a lotto ticket and won £200 and that's no joke. I crapped in the shop because over hear in the U.K at the time it was approx 6.10AM when I was at the local corner shop. I had too hold on too the ticket for several hours until the same shop had enough Money to pay out on it.

In the US I think its a higher cost of living but over hear people wouldn't think twice about robbing you blind on my housing estate for £200 so holding on to that ticket was a nightmare.

I went to the local super market being ASDA what is part of Wall Mart I think and bought an Alcatel V3 Quad Core 16 GiB Model with the 32GiB MicroSD Card.

I found not having a phone for even such a short amount of time was a complete nightmare to be perfectly honest as I was using a Billy Big Button think just for calls and texts.

Not having mobile access to you tube was really stressful when I wanted to unwind late on a night as I don't all ways have the PC Booted and a big killer was my Apps I use on a regular basis and some in particular I rely on

I know when I said so I rang the network being o2 and changed tariff and now pay £15 per month for pretty much the same as I was getting before.

Thing is. When I use my phone I use it and then this time around it will be getting switched off as I find them stress full at times.

As for my spending .. .. .. well Being honest I'm never going to be rich and at the end of the day its will power and not having a phone was too difficult...

PP was right about the phone being just an excuse to an extent as I need to break some habits and actually put some effort in to changing my spending but even then I got a new phone out of it as the old one was pretty much done and had its day anyways and regardless of smashing the screen. 8GiB and Android 7 was too outdated.

802.3af PoE injector so I can run my Aerohive and Ubiquiti kit simultaneously (I basically just have the Aerohive to SSH into from work for testing - the Ubiquiti is for home wifi unless it keeps cutting out as it was previously).
Grabbed an identical water bottle to mine for the girlfriend but in a different colour because she keeps nicking mine :p

Moved flat over the weekend too, so bought TONS of standard cleaning stuff. Mop and bucket, broom, dustpan and brush, detergent capsules, fabric conditioner, washing up liquid, various brushes and wipes, bleach, cleaning sprays etc.

Apparently the couple who lived there before us were quite elderly so while the place wasn't in bad nick it's not good either.

Took over 200 photos in total of the flat before cleaning or moving anything in. We went to town on the flat before moving anything in. It wasn't given to us in a great condition (I don't think the area behind and around the toilet had been cleaned in 6+ months). Found some nasty **** - the glass shelves in the fridge, for example, had little sticky bits of blood from what was hopefully animal meat that must have been stored in there at some point. Ended up sweeping and mopping every floor twice. Gave all the doors and furnishings a wipe down, plus all the shelves and inside cupboards etc.

One thing we did was replace all the lightbulbs with dimmable LEDs, because they had LEDs but non-dimmable ones, on dimmer switches, so they were like strobe lights.

Last edited:
802.3af PoE injector so I can run my Aerohive and Ubiquiti kit simultaneously (I basically just have the Aerohive to SSH into from work for testing - the Ubiquiti is for home wifi unless it keeps cutting out as it was previously).
Grabbed an identical water bottle to mine for the girlfriend but in a different colour because she keeps nicking mine :p

Moved flat over the weekend too, so bought TONS of standard cleaning stuff. Mop and bucket, broom, dustpan and brush, detergent capsules, fabric conditioner, washing up liquid, various brushes and wipes, bleach, cleaning sprays etc.

Apparently the couple who lived there before us were quite elderly so while the place wasn't in bad nick it's not good either.

Took over 200 photos in total of the flat before cleaning or moving anything in. We went to town on the flat before moving anything in. It wasn't given to us in a great condition (I don't think the area behind and around the toilet had been cleaned in 6+ months). Found some nasty **** - the glass shelves in the fridge, for example, had little sticky bits of blood from what was hopefully animal meat that must have been stored in there at some point. Ended up sweeping and mopping every floor twice. Gave all the doors and furnishings a wipe down, plus all the shelves and inside cupboards etc.

One thing we did was replace all the lightbulbs with dimmable LEDs, because they had LEDs but non-dimmable ones, on dimmer switches, so they were like strobe lights.

Completely random but I admire your ability to find new relationships so easily. You gotta give me your best tips.

Are you saving for a house or just happy renting ? honestly I have pretty much given up with the idea of actually buying a house now. I figure I will get a house when my parents die and I inherit their houses. I'll probably just rent til that point, give it a couple of years til i'm earning a bit more.

Completely random but I admire your ability to find new relationships so easily. You gotta give me your best tips.
You have to get out there. In Birmingham I went to lots of meetup type things - gaming groups, munches, loads of random social events. I'm good at making friends so that helps build a list of potential partners quite quickly.
My girlfriend and I are poly so I'm also still in the dating scene, and provided you have transport it's really good pickings on Tinder (being female helps ofc). Lots of other techie/gamery/educated girls around here. Been swiping left on any girl whose profile includes liking horses, though.

Being a bi horndog with a load of explicit list of things I like in my Tinder profile helps too :p Have a date on Saturday with a girl down in Portsmouth, and possibly having a guy over for er, fun, the next day.

Are you saving for a house or just happy renting ? honestly I have pretty much given up with the idea of actually buying a house now. I figure I will get a house when my parents die and I inherit their houses. I'll probably just rent til that point, give it a couple of years til i'm earning a bit more.
For the moment, all the focus is on my career and I need the flexibility of renting. That said, if I were going to buy it'd be up North where I can get twice as much for half the price.

Last edited:
Starting to up my homelab game...
Currently running on 2x Intel NUC's, 2x HP Z220's, 1x ea QNAP 4 and 8 bay NAS's (4-bay is for backup), a dumb switch...

Just bought..
3x Dell R710's, 90GB's RAM and 2x E5530 ( I believe) processors each
1x Supermicro 30-bay chassis (technically not bought, but given to me)

Need to buy:
10G switch
Lots of ethernet cables
Rack mount UPS
Rack :tongue:

Going to start moving from Proxmox to ESXi just to mimic what works uses. The Supermicro box will run FreeNAS.

Moving into my new place in Tucson next week. Spent the last three weeks relaxing up in Alaska with my brother, this weekend will be in LA, then back to Tucson on Monday. My new job starts on the 8th :thumbsup:

Been a really good month for me.

Think I am going to pick up a 49" Sony X900F after work. For use as a monitor and TV for my PS4 Pro (RDR2 bois). Been discussing this with PP over PM :p I don't expect to use HDR much because blooming, but it seems like a good mid range TV for the money in all other aspects. I was originally going to get a higher end Samsung QLED, but I decided 55" is too large, and they are 2x the money anyway. Primarily buying it because I got a PS4 Pro for RDR2 only to find it doesn't output @ 4K to my monitor (needs HDMI 2.0 ports).

Back
Top Bottom